Fix a damaged AirPort antenna plug

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 12, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Shortly after i got my PowerMac I stripped it down, Removed the modem card and port as well as the wifi and bluetooth antennas and board. When I got my eMac I got a AirPort Extreme Card for it a couple months later. Followed by another one for my PowerMac a week after i got it. I used my own method to get stronger wifi with the AirPort in the PowerMac. What I did was buy two adaptors:

A MC Card to RP-SMA adaptor and then a RP-SMA 3' extension cable to rig it to the back of the case where the modem port used to be.

Long story short BOTH AirPort cards failed and in the middle of it all i ended up breaking off most of the contacts of the MC Card end inside of the eMac.

I figured i could fix this by using a simular method i used in the PowerMac but hesitant due to the space confines of the eMac and where to put the antenna. I could buy another MC Card adapor but is it as simple as "Splicing" the MC Card connector the the wire of the eMac antennas or would it be more complex?

Also, As suggested by Intell I will buy and install Two iMac/Mac Pro Bluetooth 2.0 EDR modules into both of my Macs. However to do this task i would need an antenna for both. What is the connector called that is used on the Bluetooth module? (Should be the same as Laptop Wifi antennas.)

2. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Those should work fine and snap onto the card without an issue. Just be sure to put them somewhere where they won't interfere with the signals.

4. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I was thinking putting one in the MDD either on top or or behind the PSU Is that a bad spot?

For the eMac i was thinking putting it on the metal plate behind the CRT Neck, The metal around the CRT where the case screws onto, OR put it on the metal plate on the bottom secures the stand and such.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

FireWire 800 MDD PowerMacs already have the correct antenna for a Bluetooth board. Or is this the antenna that you broke?

6. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

As i said when i bought the MDD I wasn't happy with the poor signal the internal antannas got for wifi so i gutted the machine and pulled out the antennas and the Modem Module and port. And installed a MC Card to RP-SMA adaptor and a RP-SMA 3 foot extension cable to run it out the back where hte modem port was to install a standard RP-SMA Antenna.

It was the MC Card connector in the internal eMAC's antennas that broke. I just need to know with the eMac it is it possible to splice in a new MC Card connector to the eMac's Antenna cable.