Fix apple wired keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dukebound85, Feb 16, 2018.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I was cleaning my keyboard keys with windex and some of it must have gotten inside. Some keys now will activate the caps lock or will result in 2 letters being inputted.

How can I best fix this? The keyboard has been sitting for a month and still exhibits this

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Quite frankly -- time to start shopping for a replacement keyboard.

3. kschendel macrumors 65816

I'll give you the secret as told to me by a wise old field engineer, some 40 years ago (that was for a serial terminal keyboard but the theory hasn't changed): Unplug the keyboard. Hold it carefully by thumb and forefinger over a waste receptacle, orienting the keyboard so that the long axis is up-and-down. It doesn't matter which end is pointing down. Wait for any motion or vibration to stop. Open thumb and forefinger. Plug new keyboard into terminal or computer.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well I would but apple no longer makes the wired keyboard and their replacement keyboards are 150 so trying to see if it can be fixed.....

5. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

You can find an Apple wired keyboard replacement on eBay. Also, "iHome" has Apple wired keyboard replacements that are not expensive. You're "battling a windmill" trying to repair that keyboard.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Well I would but apple no longer makes the wired keyboard and their replacement keyboards are 150 so trying to see if it can be fixed....."

You don't have to use an Apple keyboard.
    Any USB keyboard will do.

I haven't used an Apple keyboard since the "ADB days".
    Come to think of it, I was using a Datadesk Mac 101, even back then!