Fix compressed (width) video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Undecided, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Somebody recorded an video and burned it to a DVD (as a DVD), but they did it wrong. The video is 720x480 (for example, using Apple's DVD player, command-i shows that resolution) but it plays as 640x480. If I open it in VLC, I can force VLC to apply an aspect ration of 16:9 which makes it look right.

How can I fix the video so it plays properly as 720x480? I'm hoping that I can fix it in a lossless way....

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

So the image looks stretched vertically? It sounds like the video is anamorphic, but they didn't specify that when they burned the DVD.

By far the easiest thing to do is have your friend burn you a copy with the "anamorphic" setting specified, or just live with VLC correcting it for you.

3. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. I actually found myDVDedit, which is a great tool for fixing all sorts of things with DVDs, including this.

It looks like they used iDVD and the source video was 16:9 but when they created the DVD project, they set it at 4:3 (the menu screen is 4:3). So the menu screen is properly 4:3 but then the 16:9 video gets squished into 4:3. I'm not an iDVD user so that's just a guess.

Using mydvdedit, I opened the video_ts folder, and fixed the video. I left the menu screen at 4:3, so it's a little weird to switch from 4:3 to widescreen when the video plays, but what are you gonna do.

4. WRP macrumors 6502a

Why not make the whole thing 16:9 and pan and scan the title screen?