Fix for a Windows annoyance

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by plinden, Dec 14, 2007.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I just thought I would share with those of you forced to use Windows for whatever reason, a fix I recently found for something that's been annoying me since I first booted XP about six years ago (I don't know why I didn't search for it before - it's all over the interwebs) ... the balloon popups from the taskbar ... you know, like the one that tells you every 30 seconds that your connection to the internet is down (I know - I disconnected it since I'm taking my laptop to a meeting) or the one that pops up every five minutes when there are Windows updates yet to be installed (I know - I'll decide myself when to install them).

This requires a registry modification but is pretty easy to do. Open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

If there's no EnableBalloonTips entry there, right click -> New -> DWORD value. Change the name to EnableBalloonTips, and make sure it's set to 0.

The next time you log on, those helpful little balloon tips will be gone forever.

2. abbottpc.com macrumors member

You can also use Windows Tweak UI to change the setting which is a little easier. Either way works.