Fix for broken Menu Bar?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by don1138, Dec 19, 2013.

1. don1138 macrumors newbie

Installed the update, but I'm still having the same menu bar problems I've been having since October. It keeps flashing on and off in full-screen mode (Steam games, Youtube videos, Quicklook slideshows) and it sometimes takes several tries for it to respond to clicking on menus.

My Apple rep has become unresponsive on this issue, so I thought I'd toss it out to the community. Anybody among "The Rest Of Us" figure out a fix for this?

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Do you have any 3rd party apps that live in the menubar?

3. don1138 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, the whole sad story can be reviewed in my post history. The last chain on this subject kinda died -- I wonder if everyone who posted got a personal phone call, or just me -- so I thought I'd raise it again and see if anyone had new info.

After so many months, I'm kinda used to it -- metaphors, anyone? -- but the flashing is giving me headaches, so… help?

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Just read through your 'post history',
    I see where a restart in Safe Mode was suggested but I could not find a reply saying you had tried this simple trouble-shooting method.
    Did you if fact do a 'Safe Mode start' and what was the result?

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

So is Civ V like critical to using your computer or something?

I'm almost sure you could diagnose this issue by looking around in the console.

6. don1138 thread starter macrumors newbie

jbarley: In safe mode, the menu bar doesn't flicker, but window redraws -- and the screen itself -- flicker to an even greater degree, almost comically so. Safari flickers in the address bar are even worse, and Youtube videos are just a black screen.

w0lf: If we define "essential" as "the base standard of usability I am accustomed to", then sure, CivV could be considered essential.

The console output is pretty much the same as what I've posted in previous threads. The Apple engineers have had my logs and a screen recording of the problem for a few weeks, but this seems to be beyond them.

I'd be glad to repost the console loop if you think you'd be able to troubleshoot.

7. ultraspiracle macrumors member

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

You should make an appointment with the genius bar to see if it's a bad logic board.

9. don1138, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

don1138 thread starter macrumors newbie

ultraspiracle: Yep -- Mac Pro 4.1. I even added the second one back in to test the new display features. Same issues with either/or and both.

benthewraith: Possibly -- been there before with my last Mac Pro three years ago. (Do all Macs expire after three years these days? I got many more than three years out of my IIfx. And my Amelio-era clone. I would not be a happy camper if I had to drop $4k on a new one in this economy.)

The thing is when I boot back into 10.8.4, all these problems disappear, so it seems unlikely it's a hardware problem. It seems more like a finder issue, but my days of being a savvy troubleshooter are clearly in the past.

I'm using a SSD as my boot drive. It passes all the tests I run, but could that be part of the problem?

10. ultraspiracle macrumors member

11. don1138 thread starter macrumors newbie