FIX for Lion Wifi Problems!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by shstiger2009, Nov 28, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

http://rys.pixeltards.com/2011/09/04/osx-lion-wifi.html

You don't have to read it unless you want to, but just read the last paragraph and it tells you what to do. I've tried everything, and this works amazingly.

Basically, it just downgrades the wifi driver to Snow Leopard, where we had no problems. Enjoy!

2. wpotere Guest

Thanks for that, have you tied it?

3. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been fighting this issue on and off for months, and usually a router reset would do the trick. It finally got to me enough to search for an actual software fix (because we all know it was Lion), and after trying about 6 different things, this has worked for me for days, and I haven't had any problems. It just downgrades the Wifi to where we were with Snow Leopard and had no problems.

P.S. It does remove AirDrop from your computer though. Then again, in 6 months of Lion, I've yet to use that anyway.

4. wpotere Guest

May have to give it a shot then, thanks!

5. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me know if it works for you! Even though I'm almost positive it will ;)

6. winterwooskie macrumors newbie

Will certainly give this a try on my imac when home this evening - I've been having terrible wifi issues on Lion, dropping every 20 minutes or so - and that's when it's been working well.

Has anyone else used this and had any luck? Once again, I am a member of the "These issues are only on lion" club - I have upgraded from SL, and have Windows 7 on bootcamp. Windows 7 continues to work fine wirelessly, and I didn't have any issues before I upgraded.

7. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me know how it works for you. Also, I just put Windows 7 on my Mac Mini via BootCamp, and I can't get wireless to work. How'd you get it to pick up your wireless card?

8. winterwooskie macrumors newbie

This fix is working a dream, so far 12 hours into applying it and no drops or issues with the wifi at all. Looks like problems are fixed! Thanks!

Regarding windows 7, I just installed the drivers using the bootcamp assistant and that got wifi working automatically

9. wpotere Guest

Same here, no dropouts. Thanks! :D

Just as I suspected, it is a driver issue.

10. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Glad it helped you guys!! It's such a relief.

11. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

As an FYI I was able to fix my WiFi issues in Lion by going to a static IP address. Not single dropout since then.

Michael

12. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've read that has been not so reliable, but it may be for you, whatever works! I just knew I tried a bunch of things and this helped me finally, so figured it'd be helpful.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Well static IPs are a bit of a pain when moving from place to place (have to setup multiple locations). So it's more of a workaround than a real fix.

So might try this if I get a chance!

Michael

14. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

You won't be disappointed!

15. dand1996 macrumors regular

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but are people having the same issues on mountain lion, and if so does this fix still work?

thanks
    Dan
    @iDannyOcean