Fix for "mighty mouse" Scroll Wheel

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prappatherappa, Jan 9, 2011.

1. prappatherappa, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

prappatherappa macrumors newbie

Hello,

After owning a wireless mighty mouse for just over a year, it seems that the scroll wheel does not respond when I scroll up, but it works in all other directions. I really hate the magic mouse and don't want to upgrade. What can I do?

I have found a solution on Apple forums:

"The easiest thing to do when the wheel quits working is this:

1. Wash your hands,
    2. Use a Clean piece of white paper, turn the mouse belly up and scroll the wheel across the paper and in circles. Watch for your pointer to start moving.

You will notice that almost immediately your mouse will begin scrolling again without a problem... I do this once a week just for grins and I've been using the same mouse for 2 years (even though my cat chewed the cord) without any problems. I'm going to buy another one because I love this mouse!"

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I'm finding the recent Apple mouses a real pain in the arse.

(I had issues with 2x Mighty mouse, and now I'm having issues with my magic mouse)

Have you tried cleaning the ball.inverti9ng the mouse and giving it a good ol' vigerious rum on cloth with a small amoth of ethanol?

If that fails why not just pulkl it apart and give the inteernals a clean?

p.s you not have to replace it with a magic mouse, there are losts of 3rd party mice out there.

3. kpk macrumors newbie

mac mouse scrolling problem

I have a mighty mouse 3 years now. Every now and then scrolling becomes an issue. I started solving it by just pressing down real hard to get the dirt out and it worked a couple times.

However, I found a better solution. Using a q-tip dipped in a first aid antiseptic (alcohol) I scrolled up and down and right and left until the problem was completely solved.