Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flakmunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
This tip may have been posted already, if so i apologize but I havn't seen it here.

One of the new "features" of Safari that has been driving me insane is the fact that it always re-opens to whatever pages were opened when it was last quit. I understand that lots of people may like this but I can't stand it and the fact that the feature does not have an "off" button drives me nuts. After scouring the Library folder to find out how to kill it, I finally found a solution, albeit a little "hacky".

The issue comes not from safari itself but from a new lion feature called "saved application state." To prevent Safari from using this feature I did the following:

1. Launch Safari and navigate to whatever site you wish to open every time it is launched (e.g. I like to use Top Sites)

2. Quit Safari

3. Navigate to ~/Library/Saved Application State

4. Right click com.apple.Safari.savedState and select get info

5. Change permissions to read-only

Thats it, now whenever you launch Safari it will use the page you selected and whenever you quit, it will not be able to update the save state because the folder in now read-only.

flakmunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
Thats strange that its not working for you, I've tried on multiple computers. Your permissions should look like the attached image

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2011-05-21-at-12.18.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2011-05-21-at-12.18.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 137

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The only issue I see with this method is that if you ever perform a software update or run Disk Utility to fix permissions, the application state file is going to default to its proper permissions. There have been a few times that I tried setting things to "read-only" in OS X to prevent their modification, and the operating system quickly reverted them to the right permissions or deleted the file and recreated it with the proper permissions.

The only real fix would be if Apple ever includes an option for state-saving on a per-application basis. I know it departs from their ideal to make every app state-saving like in iOS, but people don't always want their browser to automatically load the next day filled with the stuff they looked at last night before bed. :D

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The simplest way to do it is by closing Safari using Option-Cmd-Q

That works with all apps in Lion. The state of the app won't be saved at all by using that key combination.

flakmunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011

That works with all apps in Lion. The state of the app won't be saved at all by using that key combination.

That is excellent news, thank you! Save state is really driving me nuts. I don't like it on the iPhone and I really don't like it on my mac. Thanks for the tip!

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

It won't work now. It is a know bug in DP3 Apple acknowledged.
Maclver has the best solution in my opinion.

flakmunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
It won't work now. It is a know bug in DP3 Apple acknowledged.
Maclver has the best solution in my opinion.

Ah, damn, I'll stick with my fix. Its working great for me and I use way to many tabs to close them all individually every time I quit safari.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I've always been using Command + W that way it doesn't resume your browsing state.. I don't think this is a bug, I'm pretty sure its part of the resume feature in OSX Lion..

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I've always been using Command + W that way it doesn't resume your browsing state.. I don't think this is a bug, I'm pretty sure its part of the resume feature in OSX Lion..

It's a bug that Option+command+q does save the state. Command+q is part of the resume "feature".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.