Fix for slow bootup and shutdowns in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by digitised, Jul 7, 2010.

1. digitised macrumors newbie

I am not a mac expert, so this guide is written by a laymen for laymen.
    I will happily edit if experts have better methods or advice.

I currently own my 2nd macbook pro which is a 2010 2.4ghz i5.

When i purchased it initially, it would boot in about 30 seconds and shutdown nearly instantly. After installing programs and about 1 months use the bootup had doubled to a consistent 1 minute 7 seconds, and the shutdown was taking 20 seconds or even more.

Even my old 2007 model booted and shut faster than this, so i knew something was not working.

I cannot guarantee a fix for all, but i have pinned down what was certainly affecting my machine.
    Follow these steps if you are having problems -

1 - check system preferences > startup disk and make sure mac HD is highlighted. This will make your system boot from here 1st (this is a problem for most people), reboot and check your times again. This may be the simple cause...

if not

2 - go to disk utility and scan and repair all permissions. Reboot and check times... fixed?

3 - download Onyx, use their SMART scan, repair permissions, and also go to clean, and tick 'kernel' and have it clear all the caches. Reboot, time it...fixed?

if not, its probably this

4 - (what i had to do) go to applications > utilities > console and read through your last boot up log (under console messages).
    If in doubt about what to read here - check the time on your taskbar and shutdown at a round number like 5.30pm for example.
    This makes it easier to spot in your log, since all the times will then log events after this point.

Study the logs for any error messages, not founds, or anything suspicious.
    Also check the 'system' log on the left hand pane.
    The problem i had was specifically the message in system log reading -

CAN'T CREATE KEXT CACHE UNDER / - OWNER NOT ROOT.

This i have learned is the result of a 3rd party program (possibly steam from what other people suspect) taking admin permission from you and altering system files incorrectly.

The fix for this problem is to open up terminal (backup if you are in doubt!)
    And type the line -

sudo chown root:admin /

It then asks for your password, which you type (the letters will not show! but it is typing) and press enter.
    The process seemed almost instant, but i gave it 10 seconds anyway before closing and rebooting.

This will correct the permissions, which some other program has chewed up and hopefully see your mac now running smooth during both startup and shutdown operations.

I went from the above times (1:07 and 20 seconds) to 43 seconds boot and 1-2 seconds for shut down.

I hope this helps people!

2. gregnauman macrumors regular

My new 1 month old i5 is doing the same thing. I tried all of your steps to no avail.

My wife has a late 2009 macbook pro core duo and it boots in 31-35 seconds.

Mine is now 50-107.

Cant figure it out.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First thing to try, if that doesn't work, is resetting the PRAM. This is easy to do: Restart the Mac, hold down :apple:+Option+P+R at startup. It'll restart. Keep the keys held until it restarts twice more.

4. gregnauman macrumors regular

I ended up reinstalling OSX and all the apple updates and then restored from time machine/time capsule. Now its 35 seconds.

Dont know what caused it but back to normal.

Time capsule/Time machine is pretty awesome.

I didnt restore programs but did all my files and photos and user setting and it worked great.

I am one happy Apple convert!