Fix iBook or get MacBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 05000, Jul 16, 2008.

1. 05000 macrumors newbie

Im starting college this fall and need to make up my mind. My iBook was bought in mid-2006. A few months ago, it crashed.. the screen (without any indication), went black and I heard the computer winding down. I tried PRAM reset, and it worked. Its "died" multiple times now (I try using it every once in a while): most of the time, it dies again within a few hours. I think the crashing occurs more often than not when there is a lot of activity, many apps running. Should i spend money to get the iBook serviced (how much $?) or should I just invest in a new MacBook?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you can afford a MacBook, get one. It doesn't sound to me like the iBook will be worth fixing as it's most likely a hardware problem.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I concur. If you can afford it, get a new or refurb or used MacBook. It will last longer than your iBook.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Does it have AppleCare? That should extend the warranty to 3 years after date of purchase. Maybe Apple can fix it for free.

If not, buy a new MacBook the money spent will be a better investment than trying to fix your iBook.

5. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Another vote for buying the macbook, why put more money into an outdated system that is approaching end of life as far as OS goes?

6. 05000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess Im going to school classy and broke.

7. balk macrumors member

Here comes the Next Big Dilemma: buy now or wait for that moment the new MacBooks come out... (and will that be before school starts...) :rolleyes:

8. 05000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I would buy now to take advantage of the free iTouch.

Are there going to be dramatic changes? Stuff that would affect basic operations that a student would typically use?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No operational changes.