Fix iMac G3 Firmware - Black Screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidgroyer, Jul 12, 2014.

1. davidgroyer macrumors newbie

Hey!
    A few years ago, I updated my 333 Mhz iMac G3 (tray loader) to OS X 10.2 from 10.0 without updating the firmware (stupidly), and it had the infamous black screen problem, so it was put into the garage.

But I had an epiphany, if I insert a Mac OS 9.2 install disk, will it boot? After the incident and pressed the reset button on the side and changed the PRAM battery, could this effect my chances of it working?

I don't have any other PPC macs left to install OS 9 to the hard drive without it doing it itself.

I would just like to know if I have any chance of it working because I don't want to carry the heavy thing up to my apartment with no success of it working.

Thank you!

2. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

All you can do is try. My guess is that it will successfully boot from the disc. I'm sure you know that you have to boot into your OS 9 installation to run the firmware updater. I believe you need version 4.1.9.

3. davidgroyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried.... I think the PAV board just failed. I'll just have to buy another iMac G3, but they are quite rare and expensive where I live (Cape Town, South Africa). This iMac was the first Mac I ever used, so I am quite sad that it is defiantly dead.

4. MicrosoftApple macrumors newbie

In my country (Dhaka Bangladesh) These are extremely rare and hard to find
    I had visited a few computer stores when I was 7 or 8 and they had the same problem with a Strawberry tray loader
    They were saying the Logic Board was poofed so they had to throw it away cause like I said in my country G3's are rare and finding the parts of it is impossible (though the CRT Tube is available XDDD)
    Few days later I saw the Strawberry G3 lying around the dumpster with several old beige CRT PC Monitors
    Though I have one (which is a slot loading) I could've abled to save the Strawberry G3 if I knew about these computers