Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I just came back from lengthy traveling where I couldn't back up my phone and it started to act sluggish so I started to delete old videos before trying to back it up yet it kept acting sluggish until I found out that Apple in their infinite wisdom now moves deleted videos to a trash folder first so I was trying to get in there at which point it just froze. I had to do a hard reboot and now it's just stuck on the apple logo. It's really important to get to the pictures and videos I captured and have them backed up first so I can't to a restore until then. The methods of holding down the volume + button, or home button for prolonged time don't work at all and I tried software that suppose to fix startup problems but none of them work either. On a computer you can boot up in a savemode if something like that happens. I'm sure there must be something like that on the iPhone as well. Right now all I can do is keep rebooting it over night and hope it works again one day.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The methods of holding down the volume + button, …On a computer you can boot up in a savemode if something like that happens.
Holding down volume up while booting on a stock device does nothing. It DOES take you to safe mode (No Mobile Substrate Mode) if you are jailbroken.
I'm sure there must be something like that on the iPhone as well.
Sure. If you're jailbroken.

If you are not jailbroken then this issue wasn't caused by a bad tweak or a jailbreak issue. Something else has happened and there are no other methods other than a restore that will fix it.

If you were jailbroken and volume up while booting was not working either then you'd still have to restore to fix the issue.

At this point, I'd take your phone to the Apple store, but they may not be able to save your videos.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I just came back from lengthy traveling where I couldn't back up my phone and it started to act sluggish so I started to delete old videos before trying to back it up yet it kept acting sluggish until I found out that Apple in their infinite wisdom now moves deleted videos to a trash folder first so I was trying to get in there at which point it just froze. I had to do a hard reboot and now it's just stuck on the apple logo. It's really important to get to the pictures and videos I captured and have them backed up first so I can't to a restore until then. The methods of holding down the volume + button, or home button for prolonged time don't work at all and I tried software that suppose to fix startup problems but none of them work either. On a computer you can boot up in a savemode if something like that happens. I'm sure there must be something like that on the iPhone as well. Right now all I can do is keep rebooting it over night and hope it works again one day.

You should contact the FBI... They know how to extract data from iPhones :\

On a more serious note, book a session with Apple, phone cant be that old (iPhone6...), I've always had a good experience talking to them directly.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
OP please clarify if you are jailbroken, what iOS version you were on (if you remember), whether you use iCloud photo library, and whether you use iCloud backup. From there, I can better help you figure this out.

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
OP please clarify if you are jailbroken, what iOS version you were on (if you remember), whether you use iCloud photo library, and whether you use iCloud backup. From there, I can better help you figure this out.
I used iOs 9.3, not jailbroken and the photolibrary. I don't think it used backup over iCloud since for some reason it disables backups via computer.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
So it looks like any solution I or anyone else suggests has to at all costs AVOID a restore. I've been testing some strategies and I can't get iTunes to allow me to press the update button (hoping to do a shift-update to 9.3 for any experienced readers, but iTunes only allows restores from DFU mode).

One method you could try is letting the phone drain until it won't restart and then attempting to reboot, but I know this can be fixed with a shift update if I (or anyone else please advise) can figure out how to get iTunes to allow it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.