Fix: iPhone OS 3.0 Tethering Working over Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ernestc, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ernestc macrumors newbie

Hi,
    For all those with the "Failed to open a connection to the network service. Your device may have reached its maximum number of supported network connections." issue here is a possible fix.

I too had the same issue and while doing research on the net found people were having issues with bluetooth on the modern machines, but it was working fine on the older generation machines. Somebody noted that it worked on their mac Mini but required typing in the pair code on the phone, but it did not work on their MacBook because it just came up with the code to confirm on the iphone.

So below are instructions for you to get it working on your newer machines. PLease note this worked for me so I am posting it here for people to try. It may not work for everybody. Also take note it is 2:16am here in the morning when I am writing this and I have a Rugby team to coach in the morning so will probably not be the best instruction set in the world.

1. Unpair your iphone on your mac. On the iphone in the iphone bluetooth settings screen tell it to forget your computer.

2. Installed the iPhone 3.0 SDK. When finished open the "Bluetooth Explorer" utility located /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth Explorer

It crashed each time I opened it so I turned Bluetooth off, launched the app which asked me to turn it on with a button and it turned on bluetooth and launched properly from there.

3. With the Bluetooth Explorer app open, choose "Show Device Cache" from the Utlities Menu and then delete the iPhone cache.

4. Next select "Show Local Device Info" from the Utilities menu. In the window that pops up choose the "Simple Pairing" tab and select "Disable from the drop down menu next to "Simple Pairing". Even if it is already off on your machine press the set button. Now you can pair your iphone with a set key which you will have to enter on the iphone.

5. Under the Utilities menu I choose "Pairing..." from the "Test Bluetooth UI panels" sub menu. You should see your iphone in the list. Click pair. it will ask for a pairing key which you can set to whatever you like. If you dont see the iphone its because you are not in the bluetooth settings screen. Once you determine the key you will use (12345 will be suffice) it will ask you to enter the key in your iphone to pair it. Your phone an computer should now be properly paired.

6. Go to the networks control panel on your mac and make sure you have a Bluetooth PAN service. If this is already there then you are done. Choose Connect to network from your bluetooth menu on your mac from the iPhone sub menu and you are all good.

Hope this helps. Tell me if it works (or doesn't work) for you.

Good night and God Bless

2. GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

Waiting to download SDK on this machine. Can anyone confirm this works ? Even though i assume the next beta may break the functionality ...

3. Vonswanko macrumors regular

Still not working for me on my iMac at home, but does on earlier iMac at work.

Can tether fine with USB cable.

4. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

It was working!!!!!!!! I did what you said, and it was working!!!!!!!! But, my Mac was lagging, so I rebooted my Mac. And now it isn't working again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although, even though it was working, it was REALLY slow.

Hopefully there is a way around this!

Thanks again for the info!!!

EDIT: HAHAHA!!! I got it to work again. But my god, it is REALLY slow. I mean, barely useable.

Pro-79

5. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Question: I may be wrong, but in theory, wouldn't bluetooth tethering be slower in theory?

6. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502

Yeah. I figured out that each time bluetooth is turned off and back on (this includes restarting the computer) you need to do this part again:

Although you don't need to actually re-pair the phone. Disabling Bluetooth 2.1's simple pairing is enough to allow the two to connect. Once you disable it in Bluetooth Explorer, you're good to connect.

Edit: I haven't tested the speed of the connection myself, but I wonder why it's slow for you. BT 2.0 is supposed to be 3mbps or something like that.

7. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Aaaaahhhh... that's how you do it again! Thanks!!!!!

Pro-79

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any kind of wireless connnection typically would be slower than wired in connection.
    I guess the bluetooth Tethering needs more work cause its obviously still in beta.

9. five337 macrumors newbie

Thank you !! Your instructions got my iPhone 3.0 and MacBook Air tethered over bluetooth !

10. byliaw macrumors newbie

iphone 3.0 b5 still have problem with MacBook Air

I follow the instruction as mentioned step by step on my iphone OS3.0 B5, I can get the USB connection working now but the pairing processes still have problem so the bluetooth mode still not working on Mac Book Air (New version released early this year) but it can work on my MacBook Pro 15"!

MMS also have probem to send out the picture at this moment so I guess still have to wait for next Beta or formal release!

by the way the USB mode is much faster than Bluetooth and it can also charge the iphone while you are using it!

11. Greenstick macrumors newbie

Theoretical max speeds:

BT 2.0 = less than 1mbit/s
    BT 2.0+EDR = max 3mbits/s

The iPhone 3G is BT 2.0+EDR, but the computer you connect to also needs to be 2.0+EDR (or higher) as well.