Fix it or buy new? Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Apr 21, 2010.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hey there,

I have a Peryn macbook pro, the last model before the unibody and I am wondering if it's worth it to fix it or just buy a new one...and probably won't have any money for the one i have right now.

I need to change the lcd screen (white spots) and the bottom case because it has many dents.....If I look at the cost:

Lcd is around $230
    bottom case...is around $75
    Installation is about $150

So, in total, it is about $455 dollars for a 2 year old laptop. Also, the thing is that I won't make Apple change it, as they charge way too much and I wil probably lose the last year of my AppleCare...

I was wondering too how much I could get out of the computer if I fix it and try to resell it....

So, if you were in my position, would you fix it or would you just buy a new one. I would probably wait until they do a new update of the macbook pro...I know they just did one, but I guess the other one would be in what october??

2. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

3. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

there's 0 harm in taking it to a local apple store, and having them evaluate the screen for a change.

if apple replaces it, it will have no effect on your applecare.

with potential structural damage near the screen, they might not do it as warranty work.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

"So, in total, it is about $455 dollars for a 2 year old laptop. Also, the thing is that I won't make Apple change it, as they charge way too much and I wil probably lose the last year of my AppleCare..."

So do you have AppleCare and warranty left? If so, Apple will fix it free of charge.

455$ is still less than 1200$ what you would spend on new MBP

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I would just go ahead and buy a new one if I were you.

6. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

as long as the screen issue is not a damage you have made it should be covered by apple care. and it will be replaced for free. take your laptop to a autoriced reseller and have them tell you if it will be covered or not.

if you get anyone else to change it it is a void of warranty on your account.

7. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is I dropped it on the floor...so the screen bezel has a lil dent on the top corner.....I brought it to an apple repair store, because there is no apple store in my city, and they told me it is not under apple's warranty. The thing is, the dent of the bottom case is really apparent, because it's bent all over the superdrive entry :S

8. Tim Lyons macrumors member

If you have the money to buy a new Macbook Pro, that is what I would do myself.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Check your insurance as some insurances cover accidental damage for e.g. computers.

Did the screen broke when you dropped it? If not, they have to fix it, then pay for the case as it's not much

10. PandaOnslaught macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

you could probably part it out for alot, i would look into that first, see how much you get without having to spend anything, then i would look to see how much they sell for working, compare the costs, if 455 is too much to drop into a laptop just to sell it, then part it out, if 455$ + the sale for parting it out is close to the cost of a new macbook pro i would do that, just my 2 cents. good luck with your decision!

11. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I hate throwing money into older systems since they will never hold their value.

12. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

get a new one ore get the repair done by someone. since it dropped it will not be covered anyway.

13. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

No the screen didn't break, it has white spots when on clear background (ex: white, pale colours) and it goes away when the colours become darker..when I have a black background, it's not even visible....the guy at the repair shop told me those happen when there is a shock.... so I was like erm ok... and when i call Apple, they tell me to bring it there...so I'm not quite sure what to do :( .....

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

We have a law here in Finland that they have to prove that the customer caused the issue.

Call Apple and don't tell them that you dropped it, just tell that the screen has white spots. You can hint that the case has taken some damage but the screen issue happened before it

15. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

believe me, I've tried a couple times....and they all said no, plus they already changed my screen once because it had uneven colours :( ....I'm pissed they charge soo much, it would cost me like 1400 to repair it by Apple, I could get a 10 times faster computer, brand new, for the same price lol

16. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Personally I'd go for the new system too over repairing it (if the repair isn't free). Better hardware, and you don't know what else will die next. Almost $500 on a computer repair never makes sense IMO.

17. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

if Apple can fix to screen for free, I don't mind buying a used case and replace the bottom case and lose my extra year of AppleCare....the expensive part is the screen :S

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Above it was 455$ :confused:

Try couple times more. If no success, you can think about contacting the customer protection office (or what it's called in Eng). I've used them several times in here, they are very effective!

19. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah well, the $455 is if I buy the pieces on the internet such as ifixit.com not directly from Apple......but yeah....I just don't have the energy to enter in a war in some ways with Apple and stuff....why can't they just replace a $50 screen ..lol

20. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I can get a screen and a bottom case on macrecycling for $300 with shipping. Do you guys think it's a good price....I don't really have the money to buy a new computer right now, I'm getting married and all...so...