Fix It or Get a New One ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itrimble, May 8, 2008.

1. itrimble macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am in a dilemma. I have a first generation Mac Book Pro 1.83GHZ 2 gigs of ram with 160gig hd. My LCD is cracked and to replace it would cost about $450 to $470. I have already replaced the motherboard twice in this machine. The first time was not covered, that cost me about $600. Two months later, it broke down again. I already had to replace the battery one time due to the faulty battery thing that was going around a few years back. Also the Super Drive is starting to give me problems reading cds and burning dvd's. I am asking you if I would see a big improvement in performance if I purchased a 2.4-2.6 core 2 duo, with the led backlight screen ? or should I just spend $450 to get the screen fixed and live with the alright performance. I might also add, that I like playing games, and I often use VMware for autocad drafting with OS X in the background. I also like to rip movies, and convert them to various formats. Thanks for your help.

2. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Get a new one, youll notice a HUGE difference in games. The GPU is much better in the current MBP's compared to the last ones, and obviously the CPU is also much better. I would just stop putting money into it now because chances are your going to have another big repair on that one in the near future, so i say you should go get a new one.