Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brochador

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
noob question, where do i type those commands? where's the terminal?

edit: omg, is there a guide for windows?

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
noob question, where do i type those commands? where's the terminal?

edit: omg, is there a guide for windows?

Dude really? Just look at the post above. Try the iReb link.

To answer your question, there is no Terminal in Windows, just command prompt. It can be done in cprompt, but that's not in this guide. Just try iReb.

srank

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
It worked!!

wow..it really works.....Thank you so much...I appreciate your time to put everything together...

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
wow..it really works.....Thank you so much...I appreciate your time to put everything together...

No problem. As other have said, there are easier ways of doing this now, but I almost prefer this way. Makes it look like I know what I'm doing. :cool:

mrdouble

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Thank you ubreakitifixit WORKED AWSOME

Thank you SO much . My wife was SO flipping mad when she found out that I jailbroke my new phone. Well, yesterday I went to plug it into my mac and just as i plugged it in I seen the itunes logo on my phone. Apparently,somehow I updated it to 4.1

I downgraded to 4.0 and thought I was out of the woods just then I seen the 1015 error.

I found your Post and it went great EXCEPT when I rebooted it went directly to emergency calls only not sure what was up with that. After playing with that screen it popped out and permitted access to home screen.

I thought I had bricked my phone and maybe my marriage.

Thank you

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Thank you SO much . My wife was SO flipping mad when she found out that I jailbroke my new phone. Well, yesterday I went to plug it into my mac and just as i plugged it in I seen the itunes logo on my phone. Apparently,somehow I updated it to 4.1

I downgraded to 4.0 and thought I was out of the woods just then I seen the 1015 error.

I found your Post and it went great EXCEPT when I rebooted it went directly to emergency calls only not sure what was up with that. After playing with that screen it popped out and permitted access to home screen.

I thought I had bricked my phone and maybe my marriage.

Thank you

I'm not sure why she would be mad. Jailbreaking isn't illegal, if just voids your warranty.

The phone usually needs to be activated before it can be used, that's probably why you had that problem. Activation is just plugging it into your computer.

Glad this helped.

computerk

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Nand problem

Any one have Nand intel for me heres my log
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI0:CE0
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI0:CE1
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI1:CE8
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI1:CE9
[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) RO
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI0:CE0
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI0:CE1
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI1:CE8
[NAND] Found Chip ID 45 DE 95 32 7A 54 on FMI1:CE9
[FTL:MSG] FIL_Iit [OK]
[FTL:MSG] BUF_Init [OK]
[FTL:MSG] FPart Init [OK]
[WMR:ERR] NAND format invalid (mismatch, corrupt, read error or blank NAND device)
[WMR:ERR] boolSignatureFound false boolProductionFormatVerified true nSig 0x0
AND: NAND initialisation failed due to format mismatch or uninitialised NAND.
AND: Pleae reboot with reformatting enabled.
Raw NAND FTL failed initialisation
Boot Failure Count: 1 Panic Fail Count: 0
Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt

polyrythmmm

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, I am stuck! itunes says: Iphone in recovery mode detected you must restore before using itunes. I naively updated to the most recent IOS not sure the number, and of course since I am 'jailbroke' i got the old error 1015

I am trying out your procedure on my jailbroken iphone 3GS
after entering my password successfully I hit a problem:

~/Downloads/Tools/./iRecovery -s
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/danielhawkes/Downloads/Tools/./iRecovery
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Also, I cannot open the lib folder or modify or mov libusb-0.1.4.dylib. to put it into the Lib folder... Any ideas or another path code that will work for me? I am not too code savvy I'm afraid.

Further to this... After using this process assuming I ever get there successfully, how do I restore to an older IOS since itunes obviously will try to restore to the new one and shut me down again.

Thanks a heap

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Hi, I am stuck! itunes says: Iphone in recovery mode detected you must restore before using itunes. I naively updated to the most recent IOS not sure the number, and of course since I am 'jailbroke' i got the old error 1015

Hmm, that's weird. Upgrading to the latest version (currently 4.3.5) shouldn't give you 1015, it should only remove your jailbreak.

I am trying out your procedure on my jailbroken iphone 3GS
after entering my password successfully I hit a problem:

~/Downloads/Tools/./iRecovery -s
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/danielhawkes/Downloads/Tools/./iRecovery
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

You usually get a similar error if something goes wrong during step 4. You can try to do it manually by opening /usr/lib/ and putting the libusb-0.1.4.dylib file in there, but it sounds like you tried that.

Also, I cannot open the lib folder or modify or mov libusb-0.1.4.dylib. to put it into the Lib folder... Any ideas or another path code that will work for me? I am not too code savvy I'm afraid.

Well, that's probably contributing to the problem. Are you running 10.6 or 10.7? (I've never tested it on 10.7) If it exists you should be able to open it by typing/pasting into the terminal "open /usr/lib/; open ~/Downloads/Tools/" without the quotation marks. If it works, that command should open up two windows, the lib and Tools folder. If it didn't, I'm not really sure what to do.

If it did work copy libusb-0.1.4.dylib from the Tools folder to the lib folder, and enter your password when prompted.

Further to this... After using this process assuming I ever get there successfully, how do I restore to an older IOS since itunes obviously will try to restore to the new one and shut me down again.

Well, as I said before, restoring to the current version shouldn't give you 1015, but if you want to go back to something jailbreakable (I'm not sure if 4.3.5 is at the moment on 3Gs, too much to keep up with) you can download the version you want from here then in iTunes hold down "option" while you click on restore. That should bring up a window that will let you select a file (what is that called again?), select the IPSW you downloaded.

Thanks a heap

No problem. Let me know how it goes.

goldfinger21

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012

struggling to make this work eversince getting unlock code, cant get the terminal to open, suggestions, oh i'm using macbook

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
struggling to make this work eversince getting unlock code, cant get the terminal to open, suggestions, oh i'm using macbook

You can press Command + Space to open up Spotlight search. From there you can just type in Terminal, and the first result should be the Terminal application.

drjmedulla

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Solution works great on MacBook Pro OS 10.6

Eager to try the next iPhone/iPod update? If you upgraded, but can't activate the phone, you are stuck, so the logical thing to do is go back to the old firmware and wait until it's officially released, but going back is downgrading! That's where you get stuck. So here is an easy and working method to downgrade. If something doesn't work, or I'm wrong about something, please let me know. This guide is for Mac only.

Step 1) While the Phone is plugged to the computer, hold the home and power button until the phone goes off and comes back on. When it does come back on and the apple logo shows, release just the power button. The iTunes logo should soon show up. (This puts the phone into device firmware upgrade mode which allows us to communicate with it)
Step 2) Download Tools.zip attached and make sure it's in your Downloads folder. (This makes sure we know where they are so we can direct services to it)
Step 3) If it's not already unzipped, unzip it (To access the contents)
Step 4) Launch Terminal and type/paste: sudo cp ~/Downloads/Tools/libusb-0.1.4.dylib /usr/lib (This command moves a file which allows us to talk to the phone through the USB port to the appropriate location)
Step 5) Enter Your password as prompted then hit enter (This gives you permission to move the file)
Step 6) Make sure you have hit enter and gone to the next line then type/paste: ~/Downloads/Tools/./iRecovery -s (This is the tool engineered by wEsTbAeR-- and Tom3q that allows us to talk to the phone)
Step 7) Terminal should now display information about the phone and the last line should say "(Recovery) iPhone$" if it does, type/paste: setenv auto-boot true (This tells the phone to stop going into recovery mode)
Step 8) Make sure you are on the next line and type/paste: saveenv
Step 9) If all went well you should be able to boot your phone by holding the power and home button until you see the apple logo. From there on you can activate and sync.

I just came across a script AppleHack23 is distributing (Probably created). I haven't tested it, but it looks like it only sends the commands to the phone, so you can use it after Step 5. [Direct download for the script]

For the few of you on this site wanting to do this on Windows, I have not tested, but heard good things about iH8sn0w's iReb.

After 3 days of searching and working on this, your solution fixed the 1015 problem like a charm. I am on a MacBook Pro and got the phone stuck after unlocking, jail breaking and then attempting a switch to another computer.

Anyway thanks for all your help in finding this solution.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
After 3 days of searching and working on this, your solution fixed the 1015 problem like a charm. I am on a MacBook Pro and got the phone stuck after unlocking, jail breaking and then attempting a switch to another computer.

Anyway thanks for all your help in finding this solution.

No problem. Glad to hear it still works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.