Fix JB/unlocked 3GS with busted Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by killmoms, Dec 2, 2010.

1. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

So, I jailbroke and unlocked my 3GS on 4.2.1 to sell it (my iPhone 4 is my primary), but I’ve got an issue. While trying to pre-load it with Push Doctor, the install in Cydia hung and now Cydia has no listed sources or packages listed as installed. I’d like to get it back to a clean state, but I’m not sure what I can do. I thought I could do a DFU-mode restore from my 4.2.1 Custom Image made by Pwnagetool, but I get an Error 1600 in iTunes when I try doing that. Trying to re-do the jailbreak with redsn0w doesn’t fix Cydia.

Any ideas?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I would recreate the custom firmware with no pre-installed packages. The 1600 error is generally caused by putting the phone in DFU mode manually instead of working with the pwnage tool DFU mode timing.

3. killmoms thread starter macrumors 68040

killmoms

Strange, I never would’ve thought one DFU was better than another, but that did the trick. Thanks nebo1ss!

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

That's because DFU mode option in Pwnagetool & Redsnow does more than just put the phone in DFU. It also injects JB code.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Its not just plain old regural DFU mode.

6. killmoms thread starter macrumors 68040

killmoms

Ah, gotcha. I knew redsn0w did that, but Pwnagetool was less clear on the process, so I thought it was just a handy timer to help folks that had trouble getting the phone into DFU.

In any event, thanks again. :)