Fix Mac Pro Or Buy New

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jpmoran, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jpmoran macrumors newbie

I have an 3.0 Ghz 8 core Mac pro Built in December of 2007 with what appears to be a bad logic board. System keeps rebooting at startup or just sits and clicks. graphics card spins up and down but to only half the normal rpms. I have tried replacing the graphics card and switching boot volumes.

Should is pend the $700 to $800 dollars plus labor to fix it or bite the bullet and buy a new one? I am a large format graphic designer. I work in Photoshop and Illustrator, but my files a sometimes quite large and complex.

Suggestions would be very helpful.

Patrick

2. ortholing macrumors newbie

ortholing

Bad PowerSupply Unit?

Have you checked your PSU first?
    Check the voltages at the Hard disk connectors- or you can even check it at the DVD drive connectors.... I think, this could be a bad PSU- dried out electroytic caps.

3. jpmoran thread starter macrumors newbie

Voltage test

What do I need to test the voltage and how do I do that. Oh and what exactly is a PSU

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

5. jpmoran thread starter macrumors newbie

If it is not the power supply and is indeed the logic board what are peoples thoughts about fixing or buying a new one?

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

If you are handy and can pick up a replacement board for a low price, repair it yourself.
    If not, pick up a new machine and sell the old one.