Fix Macbook or buy new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jnguyen4, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Hey guys, I had symptoms of a logic board failure but now I think it is just something loose inside my Macbook. Now everything works, I just can't move it around. I took it to the Apple store and they said its a tiered 2 repair and I am out of warranty. Its going to cost me 430 dollars to fix. Should I just get a new MBP? Or one of those new macbooks? or should I just fix this with Apple? Or open it up myself to see if there's any loose connections... What do you guys think?

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If you can try, open it up yourself(check out ifixit for awesome guides on how to open and repair macs)...If you can't fix it then sell it for parts...then you can buy a refurbished one which are significantly cheaper than the new ones...though they are just like new...only the box they come in is different...

3. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Just make an investment into the new one and buy applecare. Save yourself the trouble. All technology will fail at some point. If your MB is out of warranty and it'll cost you that much, I'd sell your current one maybe for parts or just sell it to someone whos willing to fix it themselves and buy the new macbooks. they're nicer and more powerful.

4. TSE macrumors 68030

Sell it for parts, buy a new laptop. That seems like the best solution. Sorry for the logic board problems.

5. aksmax macrumors member

I'd recommend checking the going price for your current model. Check eBay and retail sites that sell 2nd hand. If the going price is higher (plus a 'headache margin') than your repair...easy call. I've done this twice before, myself. I've found it easier and more profitable than selling for parts, which I've also done. And as others suggest, price a DIY repair.
    Good Luck