Fix Macbook Pro Keyboard - Liquid Damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hally231, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Hally231 macrumors member

I managed to repair my macbook pro mid 2010 13" after a liquid spill incident by replacing the logic board. The keys are a bit sticky even after taking each one off to clean and more importantly the Ctrl key doesnt work at all.

I understand that you cannot simply buy a new keyboard - instead you have to buy a whole new top case which incs the keyboard, trackpad etc. Ive managed to source a 2009 13" top case so will just take the keyboard from that.

Will it be a straight forward swap keyboard for keyboard or do i need to swap the conductive sheet and what happens about the backlit feature of my keyboard?

Thanks for your time x

2. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

macbook sticky keyboard liquid spill damage repair fix

same here. quite a few keys are sticky - all works fine though.
    i was considering taking it apart and rinse the keyboard with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

anyone can comment on that ? is that safe approach ?

3. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is no reason why it wouldn't be safe, I would just submerge the keys in a liquid bath, then roughly wipe then dry (roughly so you wipe off the stickiness), and then put the keys in a different container and have then lay under a fan, over heating vent, etc. for like half an hour.