Fix MBP 2016 screen now, or wait for flexgate problem to show up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kohsamui100, May 15, 2019.

1. kohsamui100 macrumors member

Note to moderator: double post removed, this is not a duplicate, please keep, thanks.

My MBP fell off the table, and has got a serious dent in the top, monitor cover. I would replace it now, but except for a minor backlight issue, it works as usual. I read about the "flexgate" problem, and that most 2016 models are expected to develop this issue at some point, so I tought I'd rather wait for it to come up, and only then replace the screen...

How likely is for it to happen, and usually, after how many years ? I work and take my MBP out every day.

Thanks!

2. jerryk macrumors 601

I believe the screens are now being replaced with the units that have the longer cables. But you could ask at the Apple store.

3. kohsamui100 thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean there's a recall to all models that use the shorter cables, and the screen can be replaced at no charge, with the longer cable ones? will that also apply to MBP's which are out of warranty?

4. jerryk macrumors 601

Nope. No recall. You will pay for the screen replacement, but i believe it will be the part with the longer cable.

5. kohsamui100, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019

kohsamui100 thread starter macrumors member

I think it would make sense just to wait until such a problem comes up first, and only then replace it, in that case. It may be the case that apple starts a recall at some point, maybe :/

Anyway, any more advice would be helpful!