iPhone Fix mms on Tmobile Iphone 4s ios6.1 (without data)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vaanduikle, Jun 27, 2013.

1. vaanduikle macrumors newbie

Hi, i recently unlocked my Iphone 4s, originally locked to Orange France, using the xsim. im using it on tmobile in the US without a data plan. Without changing any settings, imessage and facetime are working, but mms still wont work (except for in imessage) Is there any way to get mms to work with using data or having tmobile charge me for a data plan?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot send or receive mms messages if you don't have a data plan or carrier data connection.
    Call them and add a data plan if you want.

3. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You do not need a data plan to send mms BUT you need a data connection to send mms

iMessage and FaceTime are most likely using wifi, and not data connectivity with T-Mobile

If you didn't automatically get the carrier update when putting the T-Mobile SIM card, you'll need to manually input the APN details

Setting -> general -> cellular -> cellular data network

Under MMS

APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Username: <Leave Blank>
    Password: <Leave Blank>
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

4. vaanduikle thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I were to enter the MMS settings, but not the data APN settings, mms still wouldn't work?

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You only need to enter the mms settings, the data apn settings are not required for mms

6. vaanduikle thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i tried putting in those settings you provided, but i went to settings>general>cellular. but there is no cellular data network option. and no mms option. (the only things there are switches for cellular data, and one for 3g.)

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Can you go to settings->general->about and take a screenshot and also a screenshot of the settings->general->cellular page?

8. vaanduikle thread starter macrumors newbie

This is it

Attached Files:

9. vaanduikle thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE
    ok so i went back to the options (without entering anything) and turned cellular data on... waited awhile, and then i received the messages i tried sending myself. so it seems that i need to have data on. after i received the messages, i checked my cellular usage, and under cellular network data, certain amounts came up, now that i have used data on this phone, will tmobile automatically add a data plan to my account?

10. Norinion macrumors regular

Nope, they will NOT add a data plan. However, they WILL charge you for the data you do use... so... its best you call them to turn on a data plan.

11. vaanduikle thread starter macrumors newbie

but if im at home using wifi, and then turn on data to send and receive mms, would i still be charged for the data that is used since the data will be sent over the wifi network?

12. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Yes, you need to turn on cellular data to have the options to configure the settings

It's strange but there are ghost usages of data for all carriers and it's impossible to trace what is using it (even when you're on wifi)

Call T-Mobile and tell them to add a block on pay per use Internet and you wont have to worry about being charged $1.99/MB (assuming you have an old plan). You'll still be able to send mms

----------

You won't get charged data for sending mms. Although it requires data to send, it doesn't classify as "web usage" data. Just make sure to get the block on pay per use web/Internet/data on your phone line

13. vaanduikle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, ill request to put a block on data just as you suggested. THANK YOU