Fix or buy a new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macaroooon, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

My iPhone 5 is water damaged (and has cracked screen). It works, but voice control keeps coming on randomly, people keep being called randomly and camera is busted (all blurry and horrible). Not sure what other damage there is.

If I get it fixed at apple (tempting as I have 5 years warranty left on it as bought outright) then I know they'll charge something like £200 to fix it (probably more - would appreciate any idea how much) which seems a lot.

I could get it fixed somewhere cheaper like iTech but that'll void my warranty.. and will still cost about £100 - £150 I think.

OR I could buy another one (I'm looking for a new/ very good conniption one second hand, with proof of purchase.

The contract I'm on is good (sim only) and getting a new one on contract will to be too much as I need 64GB and contracts for them are like £40 - 50 a month for what I need.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'd get it fixed/replaced by Apple. Cheapest option that will also give you the peace of mind of having the work done/replacement come from Apple.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd take it into Apple for replacement.

How exactly does buying your phone outright give you a 5 year warranty? :eek:

4. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

It's 6 year (but already had it a year) - not sure but that's what they told me when I went there.

----------

Also - how much do you reckon Apple would charge to fix a cracked screen + water damage?

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

6 year warranty through Apple? Something doesn't seem right here. I'm pretty sure you have a 2 year warranty.

In the US they charge $269 for a replacement. I believe that is about £160, and since Apple prices tend to be higher in Europe, I'm guessing £200 is probably right.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

BS on the 6 year warranty, someone is mistaken:rolleyes:

7. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Well something was 6 years - they were like technically you can have any problems with your iPhone (other than obviously damage caused yourself) fixed by us for 6 years. I think it's maybe EU rights.

8. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Just rang apple - a replacement costs 216.44 so going to do that. Pretty decent!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    Yeah ok, what is it a car?
    Not even cars get 6 years warranty.
    Its usually 5 years powertrain and 3 years bumper to bumper:D

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

11. hytparts macrumors newbie

I will take it to Apple repair

Absolutely cheaper than the new phone which you fond of
    But I am not you, So you must know clearly what you want.

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I bought my 5s outright in the US. Do I have a 2 year warranty? What about my iPhone 5 I bought used?

13. hytparts macrumors newbie

In fact, there is another way you can select

There are tons of relacement parts in the online shop for sale, ebay and amazon included. It is also cheaper than the Apple, you can buy and install by yourself, following the fixing guidance on iFixit. It is the cheapest way to make your iPhone 5 back, but you may lost the warranty.
    I have to say the way is a kind of invest with risk.
    So finally, it's up to you.
    I recommend the Apple, you can have the warranties.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

12 month warranty from date of purchase.

The used phone would depend where it originated (the original sale) and when the original sale took place.

15. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I think I'd cry if I drowned my 5c and then to be told over £200 to sort!! :)