Fix stuck pixels on 13 in. Aluminum MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by celticpride678, Jul 29, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I have two stuck pixels (red ones, right?) on my MacBook and they are really clear. How can I fix them? Can Apple replace my display? Thanks.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

How long have you had the computer?

You can try running any of the MANY stuck pixel "fix" softwares. You can also try gently massaging it out. That worked for me for the one I had stuck on white, just put my thumb behind the cleaning cloth and rubbed in small circles.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Since April.

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

What is Apple's policy on Dead pixels?

I mean, my notebook is only, what a few months old and already 2 dead pixels:eek:

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

They're stuck pixels, not dead pixels. If they suddenly appeared then you have a decent chance of them going away with stuck pixel "massaging" software. If they've been there from the start then it is improbable that any software will clear them up. I strongly recommend against applying any sort of pressure to try to manually massage them out. If software won't clear it up, or they've been there since day 1, call Apple and see if they'll swap out the display.

6. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Can you recommend any good software?

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Well I've never had any luck personally with clearing up stuck pixels, but all the software out there appears to work in the same fashion. JScreenFix seems to be a commonly used one, and is run directly from within a web browser, and as such, is actually an applet.

8. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Thanks I will try that and report back. How long should I run it for? At what brightness? Any other things need to be done first?

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The brightness shouldn't matter. I would leave the brightness on the lowest setting, and set the power options so that neither the screen nor the computer will not turn off automatically. Then leave it running overnight, with the applet window positioned over the affected area.

10. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I've used "pixel murder" which is a quicktime movie, leave it on a loop in full screen mode or just around the stuck pixel and let it run for a while, it has worked with some success on my little brothers alu MBP.

11. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Do you have a download link for it? Cannot find it anywhere.

12. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

No problem, good luck!

14. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I have given up. Nothing is working and it has been running for hours. I will be giving Apple a call or visit in the coming days. I'll try to give an update.

I can understand the pixels dying after a year , but the laptop is only 3 months old. It's unbelievable.

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Exactly, and that should warrant a replacement/repair for free under your Applecare then. If not, well it's an unfair world but you have to live with it.

16. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I have a Genius Bar appointment for Saturday. It seems like they will be replacing the display because it is too soon to have dead pixels. I will post back again after Saturday.