Fix the Alarms in the Clock App!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by faroZ06, Jul 3, 2012.

1. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I really want an option to set the amount of time for which my alarm rings when it goes off. I hate it when I don't feel like stopping an alarm, or it's in my backpack unattended, but it goes for 20 minutes or whatever. Most alarm clocks quit after 1-5 minutes.

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

it's so you wake up and turn it off.

3. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

If it takes me more than 5 minutes to wake up, I'm not going to wake up. Just make it an option. It usually ends up going off somewhere when I'm not around, annoying everyone for the 20 minutes it keeps looping.

4. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

That's not a fix it's a feature request then.

5. malevolant macrumors 6502

Then don't set your alarm...

6. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I absolutely agree with this. I use the alarm clock everyday as a backup to my natural clock and, invariably, I forget to shut it off at least once a week so that it starts going off shortly after I get in the shower...so, decision time, listen to the ever so pleasant alarm selections that Apple gives us for the next 10 minutes or get my phone and the floor between it and shower all wet...

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's an alarm clock not a reminder or timer which you could set. ;)

8. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Then I won't have an alarm when I want it.

----------

Yeah, or it goes off in my backpack at school.

----------

The reminder will not beep for long enough. The alarm clock beeps for a longer period of time than any alarm clock I have ever seen in my life, and I have 10 alarm clocks.

9. Julien, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There are 100's of 3ed party Alarm Apps to choose from that offer a multitude of diverse features. Instead of sprinkling fairy dust and wishing why not spend some time looking for and get an alarm App that meets all your criteria and more.;) Apple has not updated the Alarm App (that I can think of) since the iPhone was originally released so I would put the chances of you getting the features you want added somewhere just above 0%.

I use Nightstand Central and I love the progressive (fade in) alarm feature plus natural sounds.

10. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Will that run in the background as seemlessly as the Clock app though? I'd have to keep opening the app every time. I know that Apple apps have way more privileges than 3rd party apps.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It will run in the background but it defaults to iPhone sounds (no nature sounds). I don't know about the feature you are a asking for because I always cut my alarm off. My normal use since the day I bought the original iPhone is I plug it in on my bedside. I cut the App on (I originally used the included App and have used a couple of others) and use as a clock while it is charging. For me I see no need to exit out of the App while I'm asleep (it also has another neat feature: you swipe down the screen to decrees the screen brightness).

12. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

The thing is that a fully-automatic alarm system is what I need. If I forget to set it, which I am very likely to do, then it is very difficult for me to get to school (traffic gets worse and worse).

13. Julien, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

On MS Central you only have to set an alarm once if you select repeat. You can even select the days you want it to repeat on. You can also set multiple alarms too. I'm sure that >95% of all alarm clock Apps offer a alarm repeat.

They make a free version so why not download it and try it out this weekend. Also for a little research here are over a 1000 to chose from.

14. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

No matter how good the app is, you still have to at least open it when you boot iOS. Anyway, I should not have to find 3rd-party apps to replace something that comes with iOS. Why doesn't Apple at least make their alarm clock more like every other alarm clock instead of having it loop for 20 minutes?

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I guess you could loop a ringtone to whatever time you prefer it to last and set it as the sound for the timer or reminder.

I love how long the alarm lasts and which all alarms lasted as much. Having the alarm last as long as you want is an interesting idea. I could set it to 20mins and not have it turn off; I tend to hit snooze a lot in my iHome :p

16. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Tee Hee HEe.. me too. That snooze button gets used more than any other button on my iHome ;)