Fix this sleep issue without losing my files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appleguy123, Feb 27, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I have to type this on my iPhone so it's going to be short. My 10.6 17" mbp was set to require a password to wake from sleep. I wake my mac with my password and it only shows a black screen(it's my wallpaper) I have several amounts of school work that is unsave. When I envoke expose the dock show but no windows do. Is there anything I can do to save my work in pages? If it matters the window for force quot will show. Thanks for the help.

2. Queso macrumors G4

What happens if you cycle between running programs with cmd+tab?

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

My mouse pointer turns into the hand tool but the normal rectangle with the program I'm running doesn't appear.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Does the left hand of the menu bar show the program name?

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

The menu bar never shows. The dock will show when I use expose and the forcequit window will show when I use alt command escape. Restarting is truely a last resort because I will lose 6 hours of work and I can't work on it over the weekend as I don't have the sheet with me.

6. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

I just saw your posts and checked expose try hitting F10 which is supposed to activate the application windows. This hopefully should make your work show back up to be able to save it.

I will help more if needed and keep checking things to see what I can reproduce.

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

The dock will show but the windows are invisable. I think they are there because whenever I click on the terminal icon in the dock and click tab I hear the sound like glass(I think it's called funk).

8. Queso macrumors G4

I wonder if that means other keyboard shortcuts are still working. cmd+s for save being the most important. If you have nothing in the Terminal, try selecting it in the Dock and typing cmd+q. If it stops running you might be able to save your work that way, by selecting each program in turn and hitting cmd+s.

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Now the dock will no longer show in expose. I think the mac is working against me.

10. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Are you able to see the Hard Disk?

I have an idea but you need to see the HD for it to work

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I just hard resetted the computer. I was ahead of the others anyway and I have a good enough memory to reproduce a lot if it. Thanks for all your time.
    Off topic: my dad's iPhone 3g is out of warrantee but his lock button stopped working because if those cracks that happen in white iPhones

12. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Sorry to hear you lost the work. I have one suggestion is to turn off expose when the screensaver has the password to turn it off as it seems to be a bug and from a few places I just checked there is no way out of it.

One thing that we all need and would be useful is if pages and other apps similar auto saved every few minutes at least then we would have some if not all saved if something went wrong

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I sent apple feedback about this several times. Microsoft office does this it should be in iWork.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Aw man, sorry to hear that nothing helped. Best of luck recreating it.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

2nd Mac problem relating to sleep. I did a hard restart immediately, and lost (some more grr) files. This time it just wouldn't turn on and was really hot. Also the fans sometimes randomly make a grinding sound.