Fix up my mid-2009 MBP or buy a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .realest, May 4, 2014.

1. .realest macrumors newbie

I've been trying to figure out whether I should buy a 2013 rMBP or just keep the 2009 one I have. My current MBP is definitely showing signs of aging. I've basically filled up the hard drive, and the 4GB of RAM just isn't enough anymore. I'm using it mostly as my portable computer when going to campus (I'm a college student studying CS).

I have a desktop at my apartment that I've recently built, so I'm mostly using that when I'm home, but I do use my MBP for work (web development) when I'm on campus in between classes and such.

If I were to keep my current MBP, I'd probably remove the optical drive and stick in a 250GB or 500GB SSD, add another 4GB of RAM, and get a new battery since I've been getting a "Service Battery" warning for a couple months now. Doing all that would cost about $300-$500 (depending on SSD size and the type of battery I get). A new rMBP is about $1300 with 256 GB storage and 8GB RAM. But the display is also a lot nicer, and the smaller size is definitely a huge plus.

What do you guys think? I've been also keeping an eye on the refurbished store, but nothing's caught my interest so far.

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If the cost of the upgrades will cost:
    - about 25%-33% of a new one then upgrade your existing laptop.
    - about 50% of a new ones then get the new laptop.

3. .realest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback. Looking at refurbished models, there's a particular model--the late 2012 rMBP-- for about $1050. I think I'd have bought it instantly if it had 256GB storage, versus 128GB. It has 8GB RAM as well.

I guess I'll just keep checking back every so often.

4. .realest thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I might jump on this deal: 13" rMBP with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD for $1275 (not including tax). Best Buy currently has a student promo that takes off $150 from their discounted price of $1425. I feel that's a solid price, making a new model about the same price as the refurbished version.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Amazing deal! Go for it!

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Always check the AppleInsider price guide before making a purchase decision. Remember to add in sales tax if you purchase locally.

http://prices.appleinsider.com

7. .realest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the resource! Seems like Best Buy's promotion with the student discount beats all the prices I see listed. It's basically free Apple Care, so I'm definitely not complaining. Going to pick it up later this week! Pretty stoked.

8. MikeVera macrumors member

Well I just went from a aging Air, to a new Base model RMBP 15, and could not be anymore happy with my purchase. It's a beautiful machine.

9. lunarmac macrumors member

Why not go for the open box for $1338.99 - $150.00 (.edu discount) for $1188.99?

Since everything is solid-state the chances of something wrong is small. The only thing to worry about is the screen.

But supposedly you can also get the full one year Apple warranty.

10. .realest thread starter macrumors newbie

I was definitely thinking about that. I looked online to see how reliable open box machines from Best Buy are, and I saw some pretty mixed opinions. One specifically was some guy receiving the display model that had scratches all over the base of the laptop... definitely dissuaded me.

But honestly, I don't think I mind paying ~$100 more for a completely new laptop, if it means avoiding buying a potentially defective unit (highly unlikely, but possible).

11. Essenar macrumors 6502a

The one reason I would have you shy away from a 'new' Retina 13" is because:
    Supposedly the MacBooks are getting refreshed soon in the Pro variants. And your base is going to have 4GB of NON upgradeable ram.

Remember that the SSD's are proprietary, fast but proprietary and the memory is soldered.

You could easily throw a 16GB kit into your Mac, install an SSD and still be under $400. It would breathe new life into your machine and you could sell your machine later for a higher price. Macs tend to hold their value really well as long as they don't LOOK dated. And since the mid-2009 is still a unibody, it'll still sell for around the same used price as a 2010 and 2011, especially if it has upgraded components.

But if anything, just wait a little while due to the possible refresh coming soon.

12. .realest thread starter macrumors newbie

That's definitely an option, but I'm leaning heavily towards just purchasing a completely new laptop at this point... I do appreciate the feedback though!

Yeah, I've heard about the possibility of a refresh this year, but a major update (Broadwell processor) isn't likely until around the end of this year, or early next year. If a refresh were to happen prior to that, then it'll be only a minor one.

Is that information somewhat accurate or have you heard differently?

And even then, being able to stack promotions at Best Buy is extremely appealing at the moment (-$225! basically free AppleCare! and it drops the price down to that of a refurbished model from Apple's website!). If I were to wait for the refresh models, I'd easily be paying full price (or -$100 for a student discount).