Fixed iMac Acting Up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scender, Jun 17, 2012.

1. scender macrumors newbie

New to the forums, first post :D and sorry in advance for the long post..

I just recently got my iMac repaired at the Apple Store because my hard drive got corrupted because of Logic Pro and constantly recording. Like an idiot, I never backed anything up and never got the problems fixed before it was to late. It started off as frequent spinning wheels the 4-5 months after I bought and over the months it got worse until it would never start and basically "died" a month ago and I lost all my data.

So I got it fixed and paid for a new internal hard drive and picked it up and its only been a few days and it freezing sometimes still and but now I'm getting a different type of freezing where the screen just freezes with no wheel. It has happened 3 times already and I have had to restart it, and it was really weird when I was using Youtube and the screen froze again but the music was still playing...

What is going on? I'm using Time Machine and backing it up to an external drive now and I've also verified the internal and external hard-drives with "Disk Utility" claiming both the drives are "OK." I honestly do not want to go through this again and I'm actually scared to reinstall Logic and start recording again feeling something is going to happen again. I also do not want to keep forking more money on a system that keepings messing up. I did ask a question on Yahoo! to basically "find ways to protect my hard drives", however, a lot of people were telling me things I should do that I really could not understand how to do... I can also quote these answers as well, any help is appreciated!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ar23LbQcUf7Mn0zl5cYGKcwazKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20120613234735AA6Eebj

2. Bendrix macrumors member

just curious: why would recording too much using logic pro cause your computer to crash or freeze? shouldn't the iMac be able to handle that type of use? I plan on getting an iMac to use as a daw and it makes me nervous when I read posts like this.

3. scender thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly have no idea, my Uncle also records at times and he does say producing can use high CPU usages, however, with "Quote 3" I apparently did something I was supposed to do before I actually consecutively record.

4. Bendrix macrumors member

I think regarding quote 3, it's optimal/ideal to have your music program software on a different drive from the one you are writing the tracks to. But, it's not an absolute necessity and it shouldn't cause your computer to totally freak out. I could be wrong about this.

5. scender thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but I don't know how to make the iMac run exclusively on the external hard drive and write to that when I'm using Logic Pro. I'm honestly very new to this regardless that I've had the iMac for a year now but I'm trying to take a lot of precautionary acts to not hurt my iMac and make it last longer. Can anyone help me out here?

6. Roller macrumors 68020

I'd just take it back to the Apple store and let them diagnose the problem. The most any of us here can do is speculate on the problem and fix. Good luck.

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I would think you would want Logic installed on one drive, call it HDD1 and the recording to go to a separate drive call it HDD2.

Install Logic and start it up BUT BEFORE YOU RECORD anything, go in the the PREFERENCES pane of Logic and look around .... somewhere in there you should be able to tell it where to record to.

I am not a LOGIC user but every other program I have that saves data, the destination of the data is designed in the PREFERENCES pane of that program.

To get to PREFERENCES you left click on the Program Name on the top menu and from the drop down menu select PREFERENCES.

BACK TO YOUR PROBLEM - another visit to Apple may be needed to address the hard drive, it could be problematic and since it is a repair you paid for I believe it is covered for 90 days.