FIXED -- JB 1.1.4 : can't add new mail accounts

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by boz0, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. boz0 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    Location:
    /dev/null
    #1
    I've got a weird little bug with my JB 1.1.4 Touch.

    I'm trying to add a new mail account based on my own IMAP server, using an SSL connection. The app never manages to connect, and, after a while, timeouts and asks me whether I want to keep the new account. I say yes, and it returns me to the mail accounts list, including my new account. However, upon leaving the Preferences menu, the account vanishes.

    The first problem is that it can't connect to the remote server. This is strange, as I have already two other accounts configured the same way (albeit on a different IMAPS server).

    The second : why does that friggin' account just disappear without a word?

    Any kind of insight would be welcome!
     
  2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

    andybno1

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #2
  3. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #3
    I've discovered that adding mail accounts is problematic at the best of times. My non-jailbroken 1.1.3 sat there for 5-10 minutes verifying the account before saving it! I've heard of similar issues from other people.

    If possible, try to set up the account on your computer and then transfer it over.
     
  4. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    Location:
    /dev/null
    #4
    I've had the same problem, both before and after jailbreaking. Actually, I had to open my local IMAP server on port 143 to add the account, and remove the service later (only allowing SSL connections).

    The account is already set up and working on my laptop, I'll try to transfer it through iTunes this evening and I'll post a followup. Thanks for the tip.
     
  5. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    Location:
    /dev/null
    #5
    It doesn't work, saying (more or less) : "couldn't transfer mail account, the device cancelled the sync".

    I've found a thread on Apple's forums about that, the only solution seems to be a full reinstall, WITHOUT restoring your own previous saved settings. Gah. I'll search a bit on the ipod's filesystem to see if I can find the mail account settings and edit them manually!
     
  6. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    Location:
    /dev/null
    #6
    Problem fixed : I put the setuid bit on the MobileMailSettings binary :

    chmod u+s /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/MobileMailSettings.bundle/MobileMailSettings
     
  7. wulinghui macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #7

    I have the same problem, but i dont understand how you solved it.
     
  8. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    Location:
    /dev/null
    #8
    I gave higher privileges to the Mail Preferences app.

    If you have a jailbroken device, there are two ways you can do this :

    - use a local terminal application directly on the Touch (like Term-vt100 or TerminalIV, which you can install through Installer.app), login as root (you probably still have the default password, which is alpine), and enter the command I gave in my previous post

    - login remotely using ssh (you can find the ipod's IP address in the network preferences), using the root/alpine login, and enter the same command
    => if you're using MacOS or Linux, simply open a terminal window and ssh to your ipod, if you're using Windows you will need to download a third-party ssh client like PuTTY

    If you're not jailbroken, I've seen a thread stating that restoring the default firmware through iTunes without restoring your former settings worked. You'll just have to resync the mail accounts once the firmware restore is complete or type them in manually.

    Hope this helps.
     
  9. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    Location:
    /dev/null
    #9
    As a side not, this does NOT fix the sync problem, though I figure that could be taken care of by setting the setuid bit on the app responsible for the sync.
     

Share This Page