Fixing a dent in powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jojitsu, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Jojitsu macrumors newbie

To spare the overall story I've had my powerbook (12 inch) for quite sometime and its had its fair share of scratches and little dents which have been worn in pride. However, I recently got one particularly nasty one that makes it very hard for the battery to fit in... I've looked around and seen things about using padded pliers or a rubber mallet (with wood?) and was just wondering what would be the best way to go about fixing it... Buying a new bottom is far to expensive for my student taste, and I was just wondering if there was a simpler way of going about it.

The main problem is pictured below:

[​IMG]

And if there's a simple way to fix that then then i wonder if i could quickly apply it to the other couple dents...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways thanks for you help and replies are greatly appreciated :)

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

rubber mallet might leave black scuff marks if used by its self, but covering it with a cloth would help, so i think i'd try that rout

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Might I add "be careful." If you are comfortable dismantling the powerbook, I would do that first. If you just start banging on it with a mallet (rubber or not), you might seriously damage the logic board.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Man, you really beat on your machine... that is terrible care. Anyways.....

Take the bottom off and try to fix it clamping the back into a vice that is lined with something protective. Either use a towel or some rubber... let the vice do the work -- this would be a good bet.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah the more i think about it, you're right hitting it with a mallet is going to require a lot of force to bend it, so you might not want to do that, i like the idea about the vise though, becuase you can just ease preasure onto it