Fixing a "Disk Read Error" on a Windows 7 Partition in Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by raiu0009, Jun 16, 2014.

1. raiu0009, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

raiu0009 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I'm using a 2011 27" iMac on Mavericks OS X 10.9.2 (13C64).

A few months ago, I bought a Windows 7 Disk and installed it onto Boot Camp. Everything was working well, until I resized the Windows 7 partition to take up unallocated space from within Windows---something I NOW know is a bad idea. I was able to boot into Windows using ALT once, but yesterday while using Windows I all of a sudden got a black screen (This may explain everything.) When I rebooted, I could no longer boot into Windows when I pressed ALT during startup.

I was able to create a new MBR, which now allows me to select Windows from the boot menu, except now I get:

"Disk Read Error
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart"

From here, I'm not sure what to do, as I've read every situation is different.

The report from Partition Inspector is as follows.

[​IMG]

Result from sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0 is:

[​IMG]

Result from sudo gpt -r -v show /dev/rdisk0 is:

[​IMG]

I no longer have access to the Windows 7 disk, which was for one time use anyway and didn't have any recovery software. That also means that for me, reinstalling Windows 7 is out of the question.

If there's no way to fix this, I'd like some details as to how to access a few files from Windows before nuking the partition; everything was backed up already except for some game screenshots, and I'd like to at least recover those.

Thanks.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You bought a Windows 7 install disk, but you don't have access to it, being for a one time use? :D, (right! - got it! :D )
    You bought the install disk, but you lost it?
    You COULD boot to the Windows 7 disk and run a Windows repair (if the disk is yours, eh?)

You said that you want to retrieve some files from that Windows partition.
    Can you browse to the files - assuming you know how the files are named? You could just find the files, and copy them to wherever you like...

3. raiu0009 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently unable to access the files, seeing as how I cannot boot into Windows ("Drive Read Error"), nor can I see the partition in Finder. This is why I was asking if there's a way to access the files.

And while I appreciate the presumption:

[​IMG]

That's the picture I took after the disk arrived in the mail, it was my birthday present. :)

When I said I no longer had access to it, it was because I couldn't find the disk and didn't remember if I had thrown it away, since I do reckless stuff like that. In any case, I just found the disk in one of my binders, so I now have access again. Perhaps this may indicate a change in fortune?