Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ginkaninka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
This post may prove useful to some:
http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

I have tested this to allow connection to Netware 6.5 servers running AFP 3.1, Windows 2008R2 servers running ExtremeZ-IP (AFP 3.2) and my home NAS box.

In summary:
1) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do:
Code:
sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1
Now restart your computer.
2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file
3) Launch Terminal again and do:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0″ “2-Way Randnum exchange”
Code:
sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences
Now restart your computer.

Note: To add a “DHCAST128″ to the disable list, use
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128″

djrbx

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
North Hollywood, CA
Just a heads up to people, this does not fix TimeMachine if your NAS device supports it. You'll have to wait for an upgraded firmware fix from the manufacturer of your NAS device to use TimeMachine.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Just a heads up to people, this does not fix TimeMachine if your NAS device supports it. You'll have to wait for an upgraded firmware fix from the manufacturer of your NAS device to use TimeMachine.

+ also remember that the only NAS's that will be fixed are those running linux.
And only at vender discretion.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
Thank you SO MUCH for this. Wasn't sure I was going to be able to access my work server on my personal computer anymore. Thank you!

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
This is pretty odd, but an official Apple support document now actually lists this hack. Now that this confirms that Apple is aware of the issue, I wonder why they don't make it easier to enable compatibility with older AFP servers (such as providing a small warning message the first time you connect.)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.