Fixing an iPhone I got from eBay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RonHC, Jul 10, 2011.

1. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

So a few weeks back I won an auction for a used white iPhone 3G. From the description it said that the phone kept turning off and on (battery problem) and how the WiFi and Bluetooth weren't working. So i figured I just fix the small problem when the iPhone arrives. Few days later I got the package, but to my surprise it wasn't the an iPhone 3G! It was an iPhone 3GS since it had Model #A1303. Thinking things couldn't get better I turned the iPhone on. Problem was that it wouldn't turn on at all. I was a bit mad since the description posted useless info if it was never gonna turn on, but seeing as how I wasn't really gonna use it as a phone at the moment, I figured I just leave it until the time arrives.

So my question is how do I fix this problem? I know there are services out there that could be a scam while others are great. I just don't want to spend a lot on something as small as this.

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

3. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Thanks, I wish i knew whats really wrong with it. I don't know if its the battery or logic board

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Yet another thread about i got a fone from e bay and it ain't as described.

It might have turned on intermittently when the seller had it.

An apple genius might take some action so make an appointment.

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, I would schedule an appointment and see what the "genius" thinks.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Take it to Apple and see if they can diagnose the issue(s).

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you plugged it in for a few hours to see if it charges at all?? If the battery has failed it should power up after a while on the mains.

9. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I have tried everything, but no matter what it won't turn on. I guess I will make an appointment. What should I say when its my turn to talk to a "Genius"

"I bought this iPhone 3GS but it won't turn on. Can you see whats wrong with it?"

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's exactly what you should say. Where you got it really isn't important to them.