Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
... it's a recurring problem. I've re-seated the Ram and Ram trays a number of times and my Mac Pro works well for a number of days (and reports the correct amount of Ram installed), then a day later or so, the problem occurs again at startup.

Is there something I'm missing here; is there some remedial action which would permanently fix the issue?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
It could be: defective RAM (most likely), riser (sometimes it happens) or logic board (rare). Check LEDs on RAM risers. How much sticks you have? If your Mac will start, check Memory status in System Profiler.
How many times LED is flashing?
Quote from service source:

1 Flash: No RAM is installed or detected. Or, the quick memory test failed. An LED will light up on the memory riser card next to the affected DIMM or empty DIMM slot.

3 Flashes: A RAM bank failed extended memory testing. An LED will light up on the memory riser card corresponding to the affected DIMM.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
Many thanks for your response - I've learnt something. Next time it happens I'll check the LED status. (But so far, so good.)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-09 at 8.07.00 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-08-09 at 8.07.00 AM.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 311
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.