fixing bumper to accept other plugs?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by caligurl, Jul 22, 2010.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

has anyone successfully drilled/dremmelled/filed the bottom opening of the bumper so that you can use other chargers and that looks neat and clean?? i have several that i bought to use in the car, at work, at home... that don't work with the bumper...

same for the hole for earbuds.... i have a plug in the car that hooks it up to the stereo and it's too large to work....

i like the look of my pink bumper... but not at the expense of never being able to charge it or listen to it in the car!

2. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

i wouldn't file the bumper down, it will look ghetto. they sell slim adapters on ebay for like $15 that will fit on your current charger to allow it to work with your ip4.

3. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Looks ghetto? **** is that supposed to mean?

Its actually not hard to customize the bumpers. I was able to successfully enlarge the openings to allow for my third party accessories with a simple razor from an x-acto knife. Its doesn't look "ghetto."

4. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Yep, hubby did on his black bumper. He used a dremel and then a small round file to clean it up, it looks good and if you didn't know he had done the work himself you'd think it came that way.

5. caligurl thread starter macrumors 68030

caligurl

could you two post a couple of pics for me so i can get an idea of what you did? (exacto knife... didn't think of that!)

6. SNF Mixer macrumors newbie

I dremeled my three busiest iPhone cables. Just shaved 'em down a lil bit on the sides and edges, tapering them. I taped over the silver parts of the 30-pin connector so I wouldn't accidentally ding it, and to keep the dust out. Plastic dremel dust doesn't smell good!

All three cables now lock into the bumper case fine. I thought it would be better to have three cables that almost no one sees look a little rough, rather than have a chewed up bumper, which a lot of people see when checking out the phone.

And bumpers are hard to get if you destroy one. Cables are plentiful.