Fixing dead pixels? Full screen replacement?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by reaLausac, Nov 19, 2014.

1. reaLausac macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've got a late 2012 iMac. Today we lost power and my surge protector must not have worked because when i turned the mac back on it has now got an L shaped cluster of dead pixels around half the size of my cursor. Its in a fairly out of the way place but its still irritating me already.

Is it possible to fix dead pixels?
    If so could i take it to a computer repairer to do so and what sort of price do you think i'd be looking at?
    Or would i have to get the screen replaced?

Any help would be much appreciated guys.
    Thankyou :)

2. rainydays macrumors 6502a

There are a few methods that you can try yourself first. This article explains them pretty well.

If that doesn't work you should be able to find a new screen off ebay and you can probably sell the one you have at a reduced price. And you'll need a set of adhesive strips from iFixit, make sure to grab the screen removal tool as well.
    To replace the screen is fairly easy, but if you don't feel confident in doing it then you should probably let someone else do it.

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

As an aside, you should invest in a UPS. A system suddenly shutting off like that isn't a good thing.

4. westom macrumors regular

Surge protector did exactly what its manufacturer said it would do. You have a power loss - zero voltage. Surge protectors say even on the box what it does. It does absolutely nothing until 120 VAC well exceeds 330 volts.

Furthermore, an adjacent surge protector does not claim to protect from another type of surge that actually does damage. Only solution that provides that protection must be located where power enters the building with (and this is most critical) a low impedance (ie 'less than 10 foot') connection to single point earth ground.

Power loss does not cause hardware damage. Most failures are due to manufacturing defects. It might be something as simple as a loose cable. Or an entire screen must be replaced.