Fixing External Hard Drive Permissions for different computers

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Hi, I have 2 Mac computers and I use have a 3TB Seagate external hard drive that I store photos, movies, etc..

My iMac has both read and write permission while my Macbook had read and write until I installed Lion and now it has read only. How can I change this back to read and write?

Thanks in advance.

niksimpsons

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
...iMac has both read and write permission ...Macbook..installed Lion and now it has read only. How can I change this back to read and write?

I do not think it having any serious issue just check compatibility of external drive with Mac OS X Lion? I guess your external drive is not HFS + (journaled) formatted.:confused:!

Just take backup of all your data in your iMac and format the external drive with HFS+ (journaled) and then connect the same with Lion. I hope it will work fine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just take backup of all your data in your iMac and format the external drive with HFS+ (journaled) and then connect the same with Lion. I hope it will work fine.
It's possible that the OP doesn't have another drive to move the data to in order to format. A simpler approach, assuming the drive is NTFS, is to install Paragon so Lion can read and write to the drive, without the need for reformatting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.