Fixing G4 Tower power supply worth while and cost?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by webfilms, Oct 30, 2013.

1. webfilms macrumors newbie

I have a G4 power mac tower. I upgraded the G4 chip from 350 to to 1.2. New video card. New DVD burner. Two new hard drives. Bought new in 2000. Running OS 10.4. I have all the data backed up on external hard drive. The questions is it worth it to fix power supply. The computer won't turn on. How much would it cost to fix. I called Fry's and they will install a new power supply for $40 for labor plus the cost of the power supply. I have a bunch of software on the machine and use the machine as a web browser and to play music. Thanks for your response.

2. wobegong, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

wobegong Guest

Well having a quick google on these they seem to be anywhere from $15 to $70 for 3rd party PSU units (plus shipping) so that plus the install cost (if you don't want to tackle this yourself) and it really comes down to your personal preference and situation. On the one hand its a machine you know and that you've invested quite a bit into.

Or you use the opportunity to upgrade for the same amount of cash (another but newer PPC for that sort of money) for a machine which will undoubtedly be faster etc. but who's history and maintenance you don't know and who's PSU could fail itself a few days after purchase :)

Me personally and assuming I am in no hurry to spend money and if as you say really only use it for music and the internet I would replace the PSU on my trusty reliable machine and keep on with it if it does the job you want it to but it's a tough call ;)

3. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I never done this myself but was there some early PowerMac G4 models which were compatible with ATX power supplies, thec connector I mean? Or was it G3.... there were some models which required modifiying ATX -connector pinout slightly and with some models it took more modification...

If ATX -power supply would be compatible, then it would atleast be easy to test and maybe even replace existing one.... but I really can't remember and/or know about that compatiblity thing. Google probably does :)

4. rabidz7, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

You could just buy a PSU and install it yourself. You will need a G4 specific PSU or to mod a regular ATX PSU.

5. gooser macrumors 6502

what i'd do if it were mine would be to buy another one AND fix it. since all your data is on external drives it wouldn't be too difficult just to swap machines when something else goes south. you say you have a new dvd drive. as you know you can't even get a dvd drive on a new machine anymore. and all of your old software won't run on a new machine. in your case you need a backup machine. the day may come when you just can't find these things anymore. but that's just what i'd do. and have done.

6. webfilms thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

I have decided to fix my old G4 for the fun of running a old machine past its prime. I have decided to buy a used power supply off Ebay and either install it myself or take to Fry's for installation. My only question is it possible to get a new power supply for this old machine as I don't want the used power supply to go bad after a short time. I figured with all the upgrades this G4 tower can keep going for several more years.

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I modified a 500w ATX power supply for my sawtooth. A good pinout of the various G4 power supplies is here. Just need to change the -5v to ground and the power good to +3.3v. You can use an atx extension cable if you don't want to modify the wiring harness from the power supply.