Fixing G5 case?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by L Oquence, Sep 4, 2014.

1. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

Just curious, has anyone had success bending the layer of metal connected to the handles of a g5 case back into place?

2. weckart macrumors 601

Take a look at the Opinions thread you started. There are even photos of the handiwork there.

3. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

he didnt provide the method. just pictures of the final product.

4. apple apple macrumors member

Sorry man, I wasnt sure u were interested. My back edge was bent outward; the rivet busted. There was also a nice crease in the metal.

I used a rubber mallet and some pulling with my hands to get a good shape. One could use a large enough clamp and pieces of wood to help sandwich a good shape.

I drlled a small hole through the handle in througb the aluminum cage behind it. The hole was only slightly smaller than the small sheet metal screw that I was going to use to get this puppy back together.

I then drilled a slightly larger hole through the handle making sure not to ga all the way through the cage. I actually wedged a beware of dog sign between the pieces to ensure i didnt go too far.

I then drilled yet another hole only part way through the handle (i counter sunk it...) deep enough to sink the head of small screw in.

I used one throw away screw to thread the cage, but used another screw when I assembled it.

Before assembly though I used a sharp nail to marr the case between the handle and cage slightly.

Then I shot some epoxy in there (the self mixing type with a mixing attachment)

I then used the mix as you inject epoxy

5. apple apple macrumors member

Sorry. typing this on my phone. didregard the last sentence above.

Epoxy between. dab of epoxy on new screw. then screw that puppy together.

Marr the head of screw if possible before.

Dab of epoxy on head of screw after its screwed in so the bondo has something to cling to.

N thats it! Make sure you allow enough time for the glue to dry. the paint n bondo is another topic

Just

6. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

Thanks so uch :)

7. apple apple macrumors member

No prob man. I know it looks like a bunch of work, but I was just trying to be detailed. More or less comes down to drill it, glue it, screw it.

As to the finish you will find hoards of people that insist ypu will ruin the finish trying to paint it. I argue that some krylon and duplicolor flat wheel clear and 1000 grit will get you some dang nice results.