Fixing Grainy footage

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dbl.ceo, Sep 23, 2011.

1. dbl.ceo macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i know this has probably been covered several billion times but i'm in the middle of a shoot and my brain isn't exactly focused.....

Unfortunately had to deal with some pretty dodgy lighting conditions as of late and my 60D didn't take the greatest images and had to really rely on a iso of 6400 to get an respectable image. Was wondering if there was any way i can fix the grain and at least clean it up and make it look a bit more respectable in post?

THanks in advanced

Cheers

2. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

Yes, you can fix that, but not perfectly. What I would do:

1. Extract all frames to TIFFs or PNGs.
    2. Use a still image noise reduction application such as Neat Image or Noise Ninja (there are others) and batch process all the frames.
    3. When done, rejoin all the frames again.

I have not tried this but those NR apps are great. Let us know how you went.

BTW if you don't want to buy NR software, you can use the GIMP's Selective Gaussian Blur filter (again, batch process). It isn't as sophisticated as dedicated NR software but it's pretty good considering it's a basic algorithm.

Go to Filters -> Blur -> Selective Gaussian Blur. To begin with, select values of 1.0 (max. of 2.0 to start with) and 20 for radius and delta respectively. I don't actually know how to batch process in GIMP, though!

3. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

How to fix it would depend on the software you're using. Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop? How do you work with your photos?

----------

Ooops! This is for video lol! Sorry! Just ignore me. ;)