Fixing iMac problems, oversees

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iDento, Aug 19, 2013.

1. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

Hello,

I am planning to get the new iMac with tapered design, I live overseas, specifically in Jordan and while we have many Apple Authorised Sellers we are not lucky enough to have an Apple Store with Apple Genius bar nor Apple Care.

My question is, if anything inside the iMac is broken, say a Logic Board, Graphic Card will the same technicians who can fix the older iMacs or the all in ones from other manufacturers have the ability to fix the tapered new ones? How more difficult it is? Is it either an Apple Genius or no one can fix it?

Maybe this is a stupid question but after googling I found that the internals are glued to the screen! Scary if you ask me!

I would go with a Mac Mini if it only had a GPU, I use Aperture, Pixelmator, iDraw, Motion and I think the Mac Mini will struggle, and honestly I really like the iMac design.

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Basically any ACMT (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician) who works for an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) is approved to work on the new iMacs once they pass a supplemental exam for the specific new machines.

With that said, unauthorized folks will still be able to work on them as well if they are somewhat familiar with Apple's iMac line. They will need specific tools & equipment (think cutting tools to release adhesive and replacement adhesive) to work on them properly but once you get past the display they aren't terribly different from the previous models.

You might contact Apple through their online store's help number and ask about support & service for your specific location just in case you later need to have a warranty repair performed.

3. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

in your case, fix it by yourself.....more reliable!

Apple Care is good when you plan to replace your iMac....repair is risky in your situation....

4. iDento thread starter macrumors regular

iDento

Thank you, very informative.