Fixing iPhone (original) dead touch area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRiseofTheFal, Jul 30, 2008.

1. TheRiseofTheFal macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

Hey guys,

I was thinking about buying an old iPhone which has a strip on the screen that doesnt work, I have a first gen iPhone already and was wondering if I could put my sim card in it, activate it and then take it to Apple or AT&T to get replaced. I'm not trying to beat the system and I've seen the kind of responses people get for having broken their iPhone 3G's, i was just wondering if this is possible to do because I'd really like to give one to my brother and if its even worthwhile doing. The only reason I ask is because I'm getting an awesome price on the phone! any replies or pm would be great thank you :D:apple:

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

Sure you can, take it to Apple, pay for them to repair it or sell you a refurb and voila!

3. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

do I have any other options? The phone itself is still under warranty and this doesnt seem to be a user produced problem...i.e drops, throws, water and the like

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're not "beating the system;" you're committing fraud. Pure and simple. I can only assume that you're not trying this at Apple because you know that they'll check the serial number, and know that you're trying to switch the wrong phone.

Will it work? Probably

5. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

all i was asking was if it was possible, i wasnt particularly interested in attempting it because i do enjoy apple in every way and wouldn't want to screw up the friendship i have with a lot of people at the store, so thanks for a rude answer to what really was a simple question

6. macdim macrumors 6502

How is it wrong to do this? The phone is broken and is still under warranty...
    If the person selling it to you won't go get it replaced, why is it wrong for you to do it?

7. yode macrumors 6502

If it was not done with physical harm, the dead strip is a manufacturing defect. Why is this fraud if it is still under warranty..?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Go ahead and do the deal, but just remember, "if it's looks too good to be true, then it probably is!" Once you purchase it, you're stuck with it. The iPhone serial number may be tagged as stolen, or the original owner has attempted to return it and Apple has said it has water damage or it's owner/operator abuse or accidental damage isn't covered by the limited warranty. Could be unlocked or JB'd. :eek: Personally, I wouldn't want someone else's damaged iPhone!

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Because I believe that it technically is not considered under warranty if that warranty is not presented by the person who purchased the device. But I might be wrong.

10. FJR macrumors regular

I had this same exact problem with my iPhone.

I wouldn't do any of the replacing with your sim type stuff, as that just looks too suspicious if they figure it out. Just tell them it was handed down to you by someone who bought a 3G, if they ask, which they probably won't. Its still under warranty, this is a known defect in 2Gs.

I took mine in to an apple store, they asked me if I had recently backed up my phone, I said I had and they gave me a refurb right then and there.

11. FJR macrumors regular

You are wrong. It's part of the "pass your 2G down" initiative. All 2Gs are under their original warranty if sold to someone else, provided nothing else has been done that voids the warranty.

12. TheRiseofTheFal thread starter macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

thank you everyone I was just trying to get some feedback on experiences and other details about it, i didnt mean to make it sound like im duping apple or stealing from them, i was just curious about something i didnt know about it hence why i came to the forums because ive always gotten helpful answers so thank you, if anyone is interested ill let you know how it goes thanks!