fixing macbook crack

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zuplar, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

is there anything you can put on the palmrest edge to protect it? mine has cracked and i heard i might not be able to get it fixed, so i was wondering if there was any kind of edge guard type of thing that would cover the crack and prevent it from getting worse?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get it replaced if you're still under warranty.

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

They will replace it out of warranty.

4. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Yup it's a known issue.
    I love that they will take responsibility for it and fix it.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

+1 - It is a known issue, they have to.

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

They didn't want to replace it for me, this is one of the very common issues, but I don't think they recognised it officially, like they did the magsafe cord problems recently. Depends on the mood and attitude of the guy at the store when you bring it in.

7. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

It's a well known issue.
    They should fix it.
    Tell them it's easier to fix it than talk to the attorney general and have them explain about MacJunk design flaws.
    These design flaws of MacBooks are epidemic. I suspect Apple would like to keep these issues down to a dull roar.;)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's known, but they don't have to. It's considered cosmetic.

9. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

alrighty well i bought it last november if i remember right, so i should be real close to the end of the warranty. should i call the store first or just take it in?

10. DSG macrumors regular

Unless it's been litigated then it is purely Apple's opinion that it is 'cosmetic'. I don't know what the legal situation is in the US but in the UK there could potentially be a course of action open to owners against the retailer outwith any warranty from Apple.

11. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Call and book an appointment at the Genius bar, they will tell you to take it in at a certain time and if they will fix it or not.

12. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

ok i'll call and ask them about it. is it a quick fix or is it something where i'm going to have to leave it with them?

13. polaris20 macrumors 68020

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Takes them 15 minutes to fix it, depends on how busy they are. If you warranty is running out, you should definitely consider AppleCare, it's worth it in the long run.

15. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Totally agree. ALWAYS get the extended warranty on any brand laptop. At least that's my philosophy :D

16. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

why should i get applecare, and how much is it going to cost?

17. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Because if your logic board takes a dump at year 2.75, it won't cost you several hundred dollars to get it fixed.

18. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

On a student discount, $183. On eBay, $120. If your display/logicboard dies on year 3, you'll be able to get it fixed for free instead of paying the $500 or so.

19. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

ok so since i'm a student when i take it in to get fixed, can i just tell them and get AppleCare then?

also is there anything i can do to protect the edge of the macbook so i don't get another crack once i get it fixed?

20. driphone macrumors regular

mine has cracked twice and replaced under Apple Care, isn't the lid magnet responsible for this failure?

21. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

so i took mine in and got it fixed. has anyone ever used the silicone keyboard cover that also covers the palmrests? i have seen them before, but can't seem to find them only the ones that cover the keyboard.

22. driphone macrumors regular

those silicon overs may imprint on the screen, for this alone I've never used them

23. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

so does it ruin the screen?

also i went ahead and bought AppleCare since my warranty is up the 20th of this month.

24. driphone macrumors regular

yes, i think they can damage the screen, thumbs up for getting :apple: care

25. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

ah, well what i did was get 2 of those small foam circles that go on the bottom of speakers or such that help them from moving, and put them between the palmrest and the screen. now those touch first instead of the plastic so hopefully that should help the plastic from breaking.

i got my AppleCare stuff today actually. really i think it was a good investment. after a student discount it was only $183, so that isn't that much considering i am not covered for 2 more years.