Fixing macbook keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by violinist67, Mar 18, 2012.

1. violinist67 macrumors newbie

So i was on my macbook one day when my dog jumped at me and knocked my tea all over my macbook. I quickly turned it off and then turned it back on an hour later (idiot!!). But then i let it dry upside down for a good two days just to be safe. well when i turned it on again i found that it worked completely fine as long as i used an external mouse and keyboard. all the letters on the internal keyboard don't work but the volume brightness and other top buttons do work along with the track pad. It would seem to me that all i would have to do is replace the keyboard but the weird thing is that whenever i use the internal keyboard the mouse gets screwed up and no matter which way i click it it always thinks it's a right click. this problem goes away when i press any key on the external keyboard for some reason. i know the chance of fixing this problem is pretty bleak but is there any way besides forking over $750 to apple to fix this problem? the computer works completely fine but it loses the purpose of being a laptop by having to lug around a keyboard and mouse along with it.

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Ok Which kind of macbook do you have Pre unibody or unibody?

If you have a pre unibody A1181 style macbook, then replacing the top case, which incorporates both the keyboard and trackpad, is pretty straightforward. If on the other hand you have a unibody macbook from late 2009/ early- mid 2010, then replacing the top case on this model, is a pain and is by no means straightforward. replacement top cases for for either type of macbook are readily available, from the likes of ebay. They usually sell for around 30 - 35 USD. Just make sure to check which version of macbook you have by the model identifier, and you should be absolutely fine. If you're not sure about taking your macbook apart, there are some teardown and reassembly videos available on youtube.

3. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

replacing a non-uni A1181 is easy (she says after taking hers in to have it replaced then finding out it only takes 8 mins) yt has videos, but you are not confident, don't try it. there are few steps involved. If you have the money, go into a service center and have them replace it.