Fixing Macbook Pro 2007 Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warehouse40, May 31, 2013.

1. warehouse40 macrumors member

My dad has a 2007 Macbook Pro and everytime he moves the computer, even just slightly, the screen flickers and either goes blank or the colors invert.

It looks like I can order the display from iFixit, and I'm confident I can install it myself. (I've swapped out my optical drive in my Macbook along with replacing batteries, etc.)

Has anyone had experience with Apple repairing this and what it might cost? He can't afford to buy another computer and I thought I would try to have this fixed as a Father's Day present.

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Cost from Apple has been anywhere from $300 to $900 from the range of stories people tell me.

Some of those use different screens that are not compatible with one another. What's the model number on the back of your screen?

3. warehouse40 thread starter macrumors member

Do I have to disassemble the Mac to find that? I haven't done that yet.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

There's a command line that can tell you, that I do not know off the top of my head. Shameful, I know.

You can open it by removing the two screws on the bottom of the display assembly. Far bottom left corner, far bottom right corner. The back cover will snap off. Easy breezy.

Don't do the iFixit mess of taking every screw out of the machine to get to the screen.

5. warehouse40 thread starter macrumors member

I found the command line code you were talking about and this is the result.

B154PW04 V0
    Color LCD

Here is the code.

Code:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

No wonder I never use that, I could take the back cover off faster than I could type that.. and certainly faster than I could remember it. :D

That's an expensive f%&king scree to a computer with a G84-602-A2 graphics chip that will probably die on you months after you fix it. I can't in good conscience say repairing that machine is a good idea.