fixing magsafe - possibly bad solder contact

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zotaccian, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I have Magsafe charger which apparently has problems with its connector or near connector because it sometimes refuses to charge and when I twist the cord little near the connector it works fine. Are therr any good guides for possible fix, is it difficult? I am not sure if it is the connector or the cord which is faulty.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This is by far the most common problem with the Magsafe, and requires a replacement of the complete unit. If Apple would only fit a plug socket connector on the Magsafe block and sell replacement cables it would save a whole lot of wastage.

I am already on my third magsafe in three years.

3. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

So I've read. On YouTube there is one video where someone open the connector easily by holding the connector with pliers and then using flat head screwdriver to wiggle that white plastic thing off. I haven't managed to do so, partly because at the moment I can only find pliers with thin, "sharp" tip, can't get good enouh grip. If the fault is in the cord, I could maybe just cut off the bad part and solder pieces together? But I'm still unsure whether or not the problem is the connection between cord and the connector or a faulty in the cord itself.