Fixing My Macbook Pro Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orvn, Aug 5, 2011.

1. orvn macrumors 6502

Ever since I bought my Macbook pro in mid 2010, the trackpad hasn't been too clicky.

About a year ago it stopped clicking altogether.
    I did take it to the Apple store twice, but they wanted to take it for five days- ******* that, I thought to myself, I can't live without it for that long of a period.

My warranty is expired now, so I ordered myself some pentalobular/triwing screwdrivers and a new trackpad.

The new trackpad does not click either.. it's not any clickier than the last, actually.

I switched out the trackpads according to instructions on ifixit.
    I tried adjusting the pentalobular screw to make the trackpad more clicky, but that doesn't work either.
    I tried cleaning in that area of the computer to free it from debris.

Any idea what I could be missing here?

Thanks!

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

that 5 days might have been worth it cause than u wouldnt have had to ask macrumors now LOL

the trackpad is a inegrated part of the macbook so it would be touch to fix "yourself"

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

How did you survive for a year without a working trackpad? Seriously I can't go 2 seconds without using mine

BTW: I can't really help you with your problem, maybe someone else can.. My post just serves as a bump :)

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I dont think I fully understand what is the problem? Is it not clicking therefore not working or is more cosmetic as in it isn't clicking enough.

5. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I'm not exactly sure, but people have been posting with issues similar to yours on their MBPs, and the problem ended up being a swollen/bulging battery.

6. codymac macrumors 6502

The click comes entirely from the membrane switch on the trackpad.

If the screw is too tight, it won't click.
    If the screw is too loose/missing, it won't click.
    If the battery is pushing up on the track pad, it won't move down enough to click.

Since you've tried two parts, it's likely that the screw is either adjusted such that the membrane is bottomed out and the tabs on the trackpad are hard against the top case, or more likely that the battery is keeping the trackpad from moving downward enough to click the membrane to the point where it clicks.

Pull the battery and try it.

7. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Since you have replaced the trackpad and cleaned the area im guessing the battery has expanded and is blocking the trackpads range of motion.To confirm remove the battery.

Other then the battery problem the only other possibility could be that the case is bent.

8. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

It's really not terribly hard to take apart and replace yourself.
    As someone who engages in graphic design and programming everyday, I simply could not justify it.

I bought a magic-mouse and enabled tap-to-click, which meant that my only real problem was dragging.

In a sense, it's not a problem anymore thanks to the three fingered drag in Lion, but I'd still like to have my old click back!

Sorry, I realize I wasn't particularly explanatory.

It does physically make the clicky sound when I click, but the machine does register the click. Tapping, dragging and multitouch still work great.

9. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys!

I've tried adjusting the membrane screw in all sorts of ways. It's got a pretty loud and nice click to it (unlike my previous trackpad), but still doesn't register my clicks.

Lately I've been getting a "service battery" notification in my sysprefs.

However, if the battery were the issue, would the click not be nice and loud as it is now?

10. SBA macrumors member

Definitely check your battery.

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago on a late 2008 MBP. The trackpad became mushy-feeling, then within a couple days became unusable.

I took it to the Apple store and they had to swap out my battery, which had become swollen. With a new battery, everything is working like new.

11. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I had the same problem a few months ago and had the trackpad replaced only for the problem to reoccur shortly after but I've only recently had a chance to take it back to the Apple Store to get it fixed. Whilst living with the problem, the only way I could get the trackpad to temporarily register the clicks was to turn the unit upside down and give it a few taps on the underside of the MBP directly where the trackpad is located. Unfortunately, the problem would return after a while before I repeated the above actions again.

When I finally got to take the unit in, I successfully demonstrated the problem and my temporary fix to a genius who then told me later that they'll fit a new trackpad but also the top case because the circular thingy-ma-jig (my word, not his) was unusually a shade too big for the trackpad to work correctly. Didn't really understand what he was on about but didn't really care tbh as long as it got fixed.

Its been four days since and no glitches (yet) but still keeping fingers crossed.

Just thought I'd share my trackpad problems and experiences on my 2010 MBP just in case it may be related.

12. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info guys, I've ordered a new battery, will report my results when it ships in.

13. bglen macrumors newbie

given up

<Mine started with trackpad problems. Told i needed a new battery which had swollen. Paid for apple store to replace it. Later went back since trackpad still didn't work properly. Took it back yet again which help for a couple of weeks. Now they want another $200 to fix. I've bought a USB mouse for $8 whig works well. when the laptop fails I'll bin. I won't replace with an apple. Disappointed with my mac mini which can't cope with photo processing. iPhone way behind samsung. I've gone from an apple fanatic to just waiting to replace with non apple products one by one.... when you see the competition instead of buying apple (which I always did blindly), apple is way overpriced... i really feel cheated.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

How old was it when the problem started?