Fixing my somewhat broken Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by on4word, Mar 1, 2010.

1. on4word macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I don't believe I've posted here before, and I know this is long, but any help is appreciated.

In Jan I was carrying my 15" 2.3 ghz Macbook Pro (a1211) and I slipped on ice and dropped it on the sidewalk. I had a soft slip on it, but it was not in its hard case. I was upset as I am very attached to my computer. The screen was cracked vertically down the middle with the right side mostly blacked out. When I turn the computer on, the fans run at 100% and don't stop. They are so loud I actually can't use it in most classes because its distracting. Also after two weeks or so of very light use, the everything related to the sound in OSX quit working. Nothing from speakers or headphones, and when I go into system prefs. there are no devices under input or output, where it would normally say 'Built-in output'.

So needless to say, with a broken screen and no sound at all, the computer is almost completely useless to me.

At first I thought I would be able to get away with fixing the screen and maybe the sound problem would be easily solved by a few minutes of googling. But i couldn't find anything related to that when I checked. The fans also worry me.

I have a friend who just upgraded and said she'd sell me her old 2ghz macbook for $500 which seems like a good deal.

Should I purchase the Macbook or could I fix mine for around the same amount?

Thanks so much for any help!!

2. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Did you think of taking it to the apple store?

See what their analysis is (how much it'll cost to fix, etc)

if you use your laptop for basic everyday light use, go for your friends laptop!

3. on4word thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the apple store and they told me it was 'tier four repair' and I may as well buy a new pro. I used my laptop for mostly school purposes but also some sound editing as a hobby.

4. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I can do (basic) sound editing with Audacity on my Pentium 4 3.06ghz, 64mb video card, 2GB DDR (yes, DDR) and 80gb IDE harddrive that sounds like Steve Jobs getting stabbed with a (malfuntioning and in need of a reboot) microsofword... Thingy

I don't know too much about it, but my basic stuff is do-able. Exporting them to say, mp3, is just a pain. In the ass.

And you can also look around for third party repair companies...

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

i think its time to make a gravestone for your mbp. buy your friends MB, it's not worth fixing yours.

6. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Your MacBook Pro is not beyond economical repair; Apple Stores just charge an arm and a leg for out of warranty repairs. An Apple Store Genius is 100% welcome to direct you to some other service providers who can perform this repair at a reasonable cost :).

7. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Id be interested in buying it off you. IM me !

8. chopper dave macrumors regular

The sound may have just gone out from a cable getting loose from the fall. I would open it up and verify that before you sell it or pay anything getting it repaired. You could at least have a glorified mac mini on your hands.

9. MtotheC macrumors newbie

Cracked Macbook Screen in San Diego

Hey,

Just a quick note. Sorry to hear about your 15" Macbook Pro. :( I live in San Diego and had a similar problem with a cracked Macbook screen. I found a pretty cool service at www.crackedmacscreen.com that was able to repair my screen in the same day. It was quick and a heck of a lot cheaper than the Apple store. If you're in southern Cal, check them out.

Peace.