fixing roller ball on mighty mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andyx181x, Apr 25, 2009.

1. andyx181x macrumors regular

andyx181x

hey there guy's i need your opinion, for the longest time I was using a wireless might mouse and was using the rubbing alcohol to clean it. I add a small drop from the cotton ball, let it get in there and then use a lint free cloth to wipe and sure enough it worked. Well trick stopped working months ago and neither direction was going threw, so I went back to using my plug in. Long story short, last night I opened the wiresless one. Took the ball out, clean the track wheels, and got up, right and left to work but down is no go. The wheel is spinning, but it's not sending the signal. I'm guessing the wheel isn't making contact to the pin, or is it possible I shorted the pin out with the alcohol?

2. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

My wife had the same problem with her wired MM. After the second trip into the Apple store they just replaced it no questions asked.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Take a long fibered cloth (bath towel) and rub it against the scroll ball. The microfiber cloth that comes with every Mac (I think) works great too. Dampen the cloths beforehand though. And there is a demo video on my YouTube channel page, be sure to check that out.

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Taking two trips to get it replaced is not really "no questions asked."

5. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Well on the first trip they took it in back and cleaned it. It then worked fine for a few weeks. After it started not scrolling again we went back in (store is 10 minutes from the house) and instead of trying to clean it again they gave us a new one off the shelf. No complaints from us.

By "no questions asked" I was referring to any question about how old the MM was, when she bought her computer, etc.

6. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

i did exactly what those videos did, i opened up and cleaned the magnets and the ball in rubbing alcohol. i just still can't get down to work even though the ball is making contact with the roller, i'm thinking maybe the terminal that makes contact with the magnet is not good anymore.

btw the reason why i'm taking it this far is because i no longer have a warranty on the mouse and has it exchanged twice.