Fixing scratches on MBP AG Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugahairydawgs, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Anyone have any home remedies on how to fix scratches on a AG MBP screen?

Have a 8 day old MBP that I got from Microcenter. Went to grab a coaster off the table and as I was moving it the coaster slipped, bounced off the desk and ricoched off my laptop screen. It left two small scratches. Nothing too terrible, but they are noticeable (mostly because my eyes are looking for them at this point). Kinda makes me sick to my stomach a bit seeing as how I'm only really a week into this thing.

Any suggestions on what to do here?

2. keviikev macrumors member

Do nothing, you will make it worse;)

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

As the poster above me said - don't touch it. The coating is pretty thin and anything abrasive will make it a lot more noticeable. There's nothing you can do besides live with it at this point.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

^^^ what he said.

I learned the hard way with this lol.

5. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Anybody have any idea how much Apple would charge to swap that screen out?

6. techno96 macrumors member

why don't you try to exchange it for another one at microcenter, tell them the battery life is bad or something or try to get it fixed under warranty from apple saying it came scratched from the factory, that is, if you don't have any ethical problems doing this.

7. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

In the end this is my fault....I should have been more careful. I would rather live with the scratch as a reminder to be more careful or pay to get it fixed than I would to be deceitful about the whole situation in an attempt to game the system.

8. nitromac macrumors 6502

This method might sound a little weird, but try rubbing the scratch out with your finger. If it didn't actually "scratch" off any matte coating but simply left a scuff, it will probably work. You need to apply enough pressure so that there's friction, but not too much that you're pushing a hole through the display.

I did this on my entire screen, which looked like this:
    [​IMG]

And it ended up looking brand new after spending an hour rubbing everything off. I think it works in the same way as an eraser. (except don't try that on your screen)

9. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go.